oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
StickyD
Got Wood.

Default Pros and Cons of mounting viper fan through ball valve?

Anyone have some insight into what would be the best place to mount a Pit Viper fan on this homemade cabinet smoker? I've seen some attached to the ball valve, and others separate from the valve. Is one way better? My thought was to mount it next to the ball valve, just so I don't have a ten inch piece of sticking out the side of the cabinet to trip over. (I also felt if I mounted it on the other side, then I'd have a another thing to remember not to trip over). Thanks for any help!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

I'd put it on the ball valve. Otherwise the valve will be useless most of the time. The fitting is a small screw in attachment.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
StickyD
Got Wood.

I realized I should post a pic of the firebox. The ball valve opens into the side of the charcoal basket, which is grated (the other three sides are solid). So I don't know if this would effect the placement of the fan. I have heard people say the fan should be below the charcoal and above the ash pan. Or am I just over-thinking a hole that allows air intake Thanks again for any assistance.

Regards,

Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 AM   #4
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer to mount them on the valve, that way when its time to shut down the cooker, you turn off the BBQ Guru and shut the valve.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Untraceable
is Blowin Smoke!

I believe your just overthinking it.

Maybe consider drilling some 1" holes around the sides of the charcoal pan for improved airflow.

I'd recommend to continue using the slide on the fan to adjust the air intake. It's easier to set and forget than it is to duplicate exact ball valve position each time fwiw.
Untraceable is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyD View Post
Anyone have some insight into what would be the best place to mount a Pit Viper fan on this homemade cabinet smoker? I've seen some attached to the ball valve, and others separate from the valve. Is one way better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post
I prefer to mount them on the valve, that way when its time to shut down the cooker, you turn off the BBQ Guru and shut the valve.
I too mount on the ball valve. Valve is wide open during use, but when the guru is shut down, I close the ball valve to keep insects out. I also placed a 90° elbow on the ball valve with a piece of pipe which allows my pit viper to be mounted at eye level, and my Guru mounts on the pipe just below the pit viper fan.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

ball valve

Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Throw a street 90 on the smoker and mount the ball valve on the side.
Q Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
StickyD
Got Wood.

Super idea using the elbows! I don't know why I thought I had to keep it all aligned...