拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Bashes

Notices

Brethren Bashes Bash Notes, Information on up and coming, Bash Bites.. etc..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #436
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Looks like the finest food in Texas was being eaten right there. Thanks for sharing!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS.

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #437
DaveAlvarado
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Next time i'm am so shigging DaveAlvarado
Shig away my friend, I'm an open book.

I had a blast. Everybody brought their A+ game with the food. Looking at the pictures I realized I didn't get any megafatty, pig shots, or pecan pie and I'm disappointed I missed out. Special thanks to sliding_billy for troubleshooting what was wrong with my pit when my brisket was still cooking hours after I expected it to be done. Note to self, if your Maverick probe is touching your water bowl, you're probably getting a bad reading.

Recipes for those who are interested:

Ribs
- Grocery store St Louis cut spares, membrane left on because I was lazy and forgot a butter knife.
- Medium coating of Redneck Cooker's "X Factor" rub
- 2 hours in the smoke at ~275F-300F, hickory chunks for the smoke wood.
- After 2 hours, laid out foil with a good sprinkling of light brown sugar (maybe a bit less than 1/4 cup), with Cholula hot sauce on top of that. Put the ribs on the foil meat side down, then sprinkle more brown sugar and Cholula on the bone side of the ribs. Wrap tightly and back in the smoker for 40 minutes.
- Remove ribs from foil, place meat side up on the smoker, and glaze with sauce. I don't remember what the sauce was I borrowed, it was some kind of spicy vinegar sauce. Smoke until done the way you like them. I went about 20-30 minutes to get them with a good bite-through but not falling off the bone.

Brisket
- 16lb packer, trim off the funky looking side where it went through the band saw, trim pockets of fat off the meat side of the flat, and trim off the deckle (the funky fin-shaped hunk of meat on the top of the point). I prefer Choice, but Select was all I could find Friday night.
- Medium coating of Redneck Cooker's "X Factor" rub, followed by a medium coating of Redneck Cooker's "Brisket Gold" rub. I meant to inject with Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket Injection, but I forgot.
- In the smoke, was supposed to be around 300F-325F, but my readings weren't right for most of the cook. It was probably closer to 250-275F.
- Wrap at the stall, around 160F. I wrapped when the ribs came off. I tried butcher paper, but I usually use foil. Ended up going with foil later to crutch it across the finish line.
- At 185F internal, start poke testing. Poke it every 20-30 minutes until it's like butter.
- Normally I rest for an hour or two minimum, but this one got sliced right away because people were hungry. I think the brisket was a little tighter than usual because of that, or maybe I should have left it just a hair longer.
- After unwrapping from the foil, I put it back in the smoker for 20 minutes or so to dry the bark back out and let it firm up. I don't normally do that because I prefer a softer bark.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #438
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dave - I am not the biggest pork rib fanatic, but your spares were the hit of the bash for me. They were obscenely tasty, and more important they were cooked perfectly.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #439
peeps

Dave, I also thought you nailed them ribs!

Brisket was excellent, too, with a nice spicy kick!

Well done, man!

And thanks for sharing your techniques!

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #440
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

All peeps' pics of the food & Brethren are much better than mine I won't duplicate but just add a couple.

Mac at our campsite after setting up the tent.

Friday night dinner (on our own); foiled corn on the cob, foiled broccoli and 1-1/2 inch pork chops with S&P and Tony Chachere's seasoning, old school on a camp grill.

Here is a wide angle shot of the pavilion that was the center of operations; on a point overlooking Lake Ray Roberts.

And, I want to double up on thanking all those that contributed to the door prizes. Here is Mac & my haul, lucky number 7! My duffel bag of camping gear was 9 pounds overweight so we had to pull the tent out an check it separately to avoid a $75 overweight charge.

Thanks again for the great time.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #441
sliding_billy

Huge thanks to you and Mac for making it over here. It was great to have you both at the bash!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #442
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post

Hey we need captions of the cabo drinkers!
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #443
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Hey we need captions of the cabo drinkers!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=400

- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #444
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Great photos and thanks for the names Peeps!! I recognized Charles and you but was not sure about the rest.
I have a question.
Did you ever finish the CABO? Looks like the level in the jug wasn't going down very fast even with everyone taking a "pull".
Looks like you all had a great time!
LOL...thinking the same thing on the level of the jug!
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #445
caseydog

I think the biggest thing I have learned from the SoCal Bash and the NorTex bash, is that you really can't plan to eat a meal at a specific time. Stuff gets done when it gets done.

For me, that is fine. That is how I like to eat. I prefer to eat a lot of small bites spread out over a whole day. I think every Bash should embrace that randomness.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #446
DaveAlvarado
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I think the biggest thing I have learned from the SoCal Bash and the NorTex bash, is that you really can't plan to eat a meal at a specific time. Stuff gets done when it gets done.

For me, that is fine. That is how I like to eat. I prefer to eat a lot of small bites spread out over a whole day. I think every Bash should embrace that randomness.

CD
Yeah, this is the truth. At home I can get meats on the table at the same time, but that's because I can just big meats in the cambro while little meats get done. That just wasn't happening at the bash--as soon as something came out of the smoker, the vultures started circling.

I really liked that format anyway, I think everybody's products got to be showcased for the most part. Instead of a big spread where you had to pick and choose, everybody was eating the same thing at the same time and we could all talk about it.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #447
peeps

We weren't circling, we were providing a wind block

Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #448
erbeman
On the road to being a farker

My daughter told my wife on Sunday that, aside from getting no sleep on friday because of the wind, this was one of the funnest weekends she has had in a really long time. That's pretty cool considering this wasn't really a kid oriented event. I had a great time and can't wait for the next one. I really like the idea of a brisket comp. I also think we could expand it and make our own little complete comp with chicken and ribs entry. Each guy can pick and choose what meats he wants to enter, and if some aren't interested in that, they can do their own thing along side us doing the comp thing. We could even do a little winning pot where maybe each meat entry costs $10 or something and the winner of each meat gets the pot. Just an idea.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #449
peeps

That is great to hear, erbeman! Tyler sure had fun chasing your daughter around!

Your chicken was excellent and I'm not sure I want to compete with it at the next one! I might try my hand at a brisket, though. Not that the briskets we had weren't top notch also, just I think it is one of the things I am starting to do well.

I like the idea of a friendly wager with winner taking the pot!

Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #450
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks like ya'll had a blast! Great looking food, nothing like brethren "strangers" coming together and leaving as great friends!
Hybrid Pellet Pooper [I][B]"The Meat Vault"[/B][/I] - [B][COLOR=red]3[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED [/I][/B][/COLOR]Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & [COLOR=black]pre '79[/COLOR] - [COLOR=black][B][I]Black[/I][/B][/COLOR] OT Platinum (DH) - [B]SS AusPit[/B] - [B]Rib-O-Lator[/B] - SJ UDS (DI) - [B][I]CRAZY FAST[/I][/B] [COLOR=yellow][B][SIZE=3]Yeller[/SIZE] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote