oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Northeast Professional BBQ-Your Premier Humphrey Smoker Dealer

Notices

Northeast Professional BBQ-Your Premier Humphrey Smoker Dealer Welcome to your premiere Brethren dealer for Humphrey Smokers and accessories. Special Brethren pricing and deals can only be gotten here. Humphrey Smokers are made of the finest quality materials and good old Maine Craftsmanship. We offer a diverse line of units or can custom make on to your specifications. Commercial,residential ,backyarder or competitor we can do it all. Start your next BBQ experience here. Call or PM me for complete details,pricing and ordering. Kevin Rundell 518 488 1015

Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Default Battle Box Efficiency

For those of you looking to buy another smoker. You will seriously want to consider buying a Humphrey's!!. I started my battle box on Sat night 2/1 at 10PM(it was about 30 degrees outside, overnight), I used about 15 lbs of natural briquettes and also used the Humphrey's charcoal maze. I cooked all night @ 225 degrees. @ 2PM on Sunday 2/2 it is still reading 225 degrees. That's 16 hours on one load of charcoal, again 16 hours on load of charcoal, Talk about efficient!!!!!!! It was still reading 225 degrees at 4PM(18 hrs) when I shut it down. I would bet you probably could go about 20 hours on one load of charcoal!! Buy a Humphrey's!!!!!
Humphrey's Smokers, Head Country Food Products, Butcher BBQ, iGrill, Frontier Charcoal, Good Smoke Rubs, Whiskey Bent BBQ supply
Humphrey's Battle Box, Humphrey's Qube'd Pint, Humphrey's Half Pint, Backwoods Fatboy, 18" WSM(2), Weber OTG(2)
Smokin Hoggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
MarleyMan
is one Smokin' Farker

I can attest to that fact. I did a cook around Christmas time and got 17hrs+ on one load of charcoal (Stubb's) in my Qubed Box. Did a 15# brisket and two 10# Butts cooking at 250F.

I looked in the firebox and figured it would be empty and just holding residual heat...nope still coals in there glowing and burning.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
drop2d
Got rid of the matchlight.

I concur Bill! I have a Qubed Box and just did my first 'big' cook over the weekend. Fired it up at around 8pm Saturday. Didn't refill it until around noon on Sunday. I still have some tweaking to do... but I was more than impressed this go around.
drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Sagen

I'm not an expert with my Battle Box (this is my first charcoal burner), and this was my first cook with the maze and a BBQ Guru.

Cooked 2 Pork Butts and 2 packer briskets (it was tight!).

I started with 9.5 lbs targeting an overnight burn at 225. I did add more later just to be sure it held temp.

Total Kingsford briquettes used: 18.5 lbs.
Started at 6 PM. Cook was done by 4 PM the next day (22 hours), so I commanded the temp to ramp up. It burned for 4 more hours above 260 before I closed off all the air for the night.

I have to say I'm impressed, and clearly I needed to have a little more confidence at how long it can hold the heat.

Thanks Humphrey's!
Sagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

All Humphrey's are very efficient.

I get a 12 to 14 hour burn on an 8lb bag of lump with the use of the guru on my Down East Beast.

Lump burns hotter and leaves much less ash..
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #6
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Did my battle box come with a smaller charcoal tray or something?

Yesterday I loaded up about 16 lbs of Humphrey's briqs and used the maze method, lighting the front corner near the daisy wheel. I let the cooker get up to about 150 and then set the Guru for 275. I got about 8 hours of burn time, and that was with the addition of a couple extra lbs of briqs. The maze definitely stretched the burn time a bit, but I don't see any way I could get 12+ hours on a load.

What am I doing wrong??
Old 02-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Did my battle box come with a smaller charcoal tray or something?

Yesterday I loaded up about 16 lbs of Humphrey's briqs and used the maze method, lighting the front corner near the daisy wheel. I let the cooker get up to about 150 and then set the Guru for 275. I got about 8 hours of burn time, and that was with the addition of a couple extra lbs of briqs. The maze definitely stretched the burn time a bit, but I don't see any way I could get 12+ hours on a load.

What am I doing wrong??
Hey Don,
What size fan are you running with the guru, I have a 10 cfm fan. When I fire my battle box up, I light just the right front corner and kept the door open for about 10 min, so I know the charcoal is going, then I shut the door and let the guru do its thing. You will want to use the guru from the start, because when the pit starts climbing to temp, the guru will make adjustments so the pit won't over shoot the temp you're aiming for. typical time it takes the cooker to come up to temp is about 1.5hrs. I also fill the water pan up with about 3 gallons of water. Also, you are cooking @ 275, that will make a big difference in the amount of charcoal you'll go thru. What are you keeping your exhaust baffle at? I keep mine open about a 1/2 inch. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them for you!!!

Bill
Humphrey's Smokers, Head Country Food Products, Butcher BBQ, iGrill, Frontier Charcoal, Good Smoke Rubs, Whiskey Bent BBQ supply
Humphrey's Battle Box, Humphrey's Qube'd Pint, Humphrey's Half Pint, Backwoods Fatboy, 18" WSM(2), Weber OTG(2)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Bill, I have the same 10 cfm fan for my guru. Sounds like the only thing I'm doing differently is running with my exhaust damper wide open, which I thought you were supposed to. I suppose shutting that down will keep the heat inside the cooker longer and result in longer burn times. I'll have to try that next time, thanks for the info.

Also I usually cook at 250, I was running 275 over the weekend with the probe in the middle of the cooker so I could crisp up my chicken on the top shelf.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Elancer
Got Wood.

Hey Bill,
I just received my battle box a couple of weeks ago and have done a single cook on it so far. I'm using a guru with a 10 cfm fan. Should the damper on the fan be fully open? I always used it half open on my 22" WSM, but am wondering if the battle box needs the extra air.

Thanks,
Ed

180 Pork -- Jack Daniels Invitational, Lynchburg, TN 2014
Elancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elancer View Post
Hey Bill,
I just received my battle box a couple of weeks ago and have done a single cook on it so far. I'm using a guru with a 10 cfm fan. Should the damper on the fan be fully open? I always used it half open on my 22" WSM, but am wondering if the battle box needs the extra air.

Thanks,
Ed
Hi Ed,

Yes, I run mine with the fan damper fully open, you can experiment with it though to see how it will perform!!

Bill
Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
drop2d

What's everyone using to clean up the outside of their unit?
drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

Soapy water and a microfiber cloth would be the best.

I use SS appliance polish on my SS when clean
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #13
Elancer
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Hoggz View Post
Hi Ed,

Yes, I run mine with the fan damper fully open, you can experiment with it though to see how it will perform!!

Bill
Thanks Bill!

I loosely loaded the basket with RO lump and still got 7 hours at 250 degrees for my first smoke. I'm sure I can get several more once it's been used a few times. I'm really enjoying this Humphrey's smoker, this thing is built like a tank!!

Ed

Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elancer View Post
Thanks Bill!

I loosely loaded the basket with RO lump and still got 7 hours at 250 degrees for my first smoke. I'm sure I can get several more once it's been used a few times. I'm really enjoying this Humphrey's smoker, this thing is built like a tank!!

Ed

Hey Ed,
Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them for you!!

Another little tip for prolonging the charcoal is to condense the charcoal into a single pile as it is burning down, check it after 4-5 hours then push it all into one pile, that should add about 1-2 hrs to your overall time.

Bill
Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
Elancer
Got Wood.

Thanks Bill, appreciate all the tips!! Now I just need this snow to stop so I can get some practice in!

Ed