The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Hot Smoked Salmon

I 'hot smoked' some salmon this weekend and really liked the results. I started out with two skin on atlantic salmon fillets weighing a little over one pound each.

Dry brine was one cup of Kosher salt, two cups of granulated sugar and a half cup of maple syrup. I packed it on and put it in the refrigerator overnight.

You can see how much moisture was drawn out or the salmon by morning.

I rinsed the fillets, patted them dry and put them back in the refrigerator uncovered for about three hours to form the pellicle.

While the fillets were drying, I got the BGE ready. It was cold outside, so I had no problem keeping the Egg running at about 175 degrees, perfect for hot smoking salmon. Any hotter and the albumen (that nasty white stuff) will ooze out of the fillet, which will not only make it look ugly, but also dry it out.

Notice the cork under the Egg's lid. That's how I keep it from freezing closed in the winter when not in use.

Here's how the salmon looked coming out of the fridge. Darker, redder and quite a bit stiffer.

I smoked them for about two hours on a cedar plank.

Served with roasted cauliflower and sauteed squash and onions. Delicious and healthy too!

Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0

That looks outstanding.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
FatCoyote
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Great pics, informative process and looks tasty.

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
JamieK
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice work, I use a similar Dry Brine with the basics being 1 cup of course salt to aa 1kg of Brown sugar, then add other spices that I am feeling at the moment such as Garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, cumin etc. But I have found I get more Maple Flavor if I baste the salmon with Maple Syrup at the end of the cook, as it creates a nice glaze similar to indian candy.

Your salmon looked great, hope it tasted the same.

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
jhunter1102
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the post Mister Bob. This is one of the top three items on my "next to try" list and i have been having a hard time finding a good walkthrough for hot smoking Salmon.

Your results look amazing.
jhunter1102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

That looks great! Smoked salmon is great stuff!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
JamieK
Knows what a fatty is.

Another point, I liked how you keep the skin on the fish, most remove it, but I find it keeps the fish moist, similar to using the fat cap to protect a brisket or butt.

Unread 01-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Great lookin' meal! Love smoked salmon.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Super Fast and Accurate Blue Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote