The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
DUBBAGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Oakridge/Stark modified Bludawg brisket

Finally found a really nice Choice packer at the local Walmart Neighborhood Market recently, and figured it was time to do a brisket. After reading many successful posts, it was time to try HnF - Bludawg style.

Started off with a floppy 12.7lb packer, and trimmed off 3.1lb of fat/grey meat.

I can't begin to explain how fantastic it was to work on the Stark Disposable Cutting Board . Although this wasn't a monster brisket, it was still 2 inches longer than my largest standard cutting board, but it fit nicely on the Stark board. If you haven't tried them yet, you really should do so. Check out his info on the Sales and Ventures page. After it was trimmed (really ugly job doing the fat cap), it was rubbed generously with Oakridge Black Ops, and allowed to rest while the UDS was coming up to 300 (running KBB and red oak).

After the UDS was holding steady, the brisket went on for 4hrs.

At the 4 hours mark it was wrapped in parchment paper (modified Bludawg as no butcher paper), and returned for 1hr. Started to probe the flat, and it wasn't even close to ready. Checked again at 2hrs, and still wasn't probing how I wanted it, but I pulled it and hoped that the carry-over cooking would be sufficient to get it probe tender. Separated the point for burnt ends, and wrapped the flat back up.

This was the first time that I brought out the probe thermometer as I wanted to know when it had cooled to 150 for slicing.

Cubed up the point, tossed with more Oakridge Black Ops and some bbq sauce, and tossed back on the UDS to render and crisp.

Once the flat had cooled to 150 I started to slice. It was TOUGH!!! The rest on the counter didn't get it where I wanted, but I was not deterred. Re-wrapped the flat in heavy duty aluminum foil, included the drippings from the parchment, and allowed it to continue cooking at 300. It was another 2 hours before it probed tender, and to my surprise the thermometer was registering 213.

The burnt ends turned out fantastic, and the twice-cooked brisket was on point. I truly love Oakridge Black Ops, it is such a great product.

Thanks to Matthew (Stark) for making the prep a breeze, Mike (Oakridge) for making the end product delicious, and Bludawg for making the process simple.

UDS, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker, Blue Ember Gasser, Weber Performer

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM! (GoFundMe link)

EPIC BIGMISTA KICKSTARTER/GoFundMe THREAD (link)
DUBBAGA is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

You can have some higher temperature readings for probe tender doing a HnF cook. 213* ain't bad

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
JediDog
is one Smokin' Farker

That brisket looks perfect.
JediDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

Fark that's a sexy piece of brisket!

Unread 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
ShencoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Good work, very nice. I am also in the middle of a love affair with black ops.

I don't use electronic gadgets while cooking for the same reason Ronnie Van Zant didn't wear shoes on stage.
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Toast
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Spectacular post, pic's and brisket!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen
The Fun Never Stops at the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
2013 Throwdown Grand Master. 1/2 of Team Paradise.

Toast is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Looks Awesome! Don't be afraid to trim back the flat part way and lay it back over the point.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
sliding_billy

Very nice job.

Unread 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Nice!!!!
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

Nice looking brisket.

Bludawg will tell you, always trust your probe to tell you when the meat is done. Don't go by time or internal temperature.

Also when cooking hot and fast, the meat internal temperature will usually end up much higher than doing low and slow cooking when done.

Unread 01-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Bludawg

Looks real good like always say trust the probe differences in pit temp readings are different due to placement and thermo accuracy. The parchment could possibly have a different effect over BP?? Either way I would like a slice or 3 of that.

Tags
Bludawg, oakridge, Stark Disposable Cutting Board