The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Recyellow
Found some matches.

Default Cutting butt to save time?

I am going to be doing some festivals this year and was wondering if I cut a Boston butt in half would it cook a lot faster? What are the pros and cons of doing this?
Recyellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

do em whole before you go, tear em up and pan..do a couple whole for show..

Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

It would cut the time but I have never done it that way, I just cook them like normal.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

We have tried that but didn't like the way they turned out. They were somewhat dry and tough. They just didn't seem to cook the same as a whole butt. YMMV

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

For vending, I suggest the following:

Precook, plastic wrap and chill. Reheat on site and break the butts as needed as close to serving as possible. Quality will not be ultimate, but better than pulling and panning in advance.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

we have never cooked ahead of time and hope we never have to.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
For vending, I suggest the following:

Precook, plastic wrap and chill. Reheat on site and break the butts as needed as close to serving as possible. Quality will not be ultimate, but better than pulling and panning in advance.
I've seen many people that like this process but for me it's a pain. I have to spend an additional day cooking then and hour or two breaking down the butts and shocking cold with an ice slurry then get the cold butts out the next day and break apart in pans and a couple hours of reheat time. I find it much easier to just cook hot and fast when need and can get butts in 6 hours or less cooked fresh.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I've seen many people that like this process but for me it's a pain. I have to spend an additional day cooking then and hour or two breaking down the butts and shocking cold with an ice slurry then get the cold butts out the next day and break apart in pans and a couple hours of reheat time. I find it much easier to just cook hot and fast when need and can get butts in 6 hours or less cooked fresh.
This all depends on how many you plan on selling. 100 sandwiches or 1,000. What is the projection of sales? When you have all pulled, sauced and wrapped you can slowly heat what you need, especially if the day weather went sour. At the end of the day if sales were slow you will be spendiing this time pulling and protecting your meat for selling the next day. Quaility will not be sacrificed properly wrapped and heated. Also your clean up time at the end of vending will be easier, unless you have extra staff pulling as you go will not keep up, in my opionion..
bottom line is how many served in a day? It it hard to keep fresh ribs and brisket going, side dish or two and pulling a butt apart at the same time?