oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
BrotherInArms
On the road to being a farker

Default Pacific Northwest

I'm getting to move to the PNW here within the next two months. I am just wondering how often competitions occur out that way. I currently live on the east coast and have cooked in a few comps here. If anyone has any info for me on the PNW much thanks

Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Smoke Dawg
is Blowin Smoke!

Contact Columbia 1 here or through his his website or FB.

He is in Kalama WA and competes

http://tombstonebbq.blogspot.com/
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Only Brethren to win TD with Zero votes
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwet! I see you are in the Navy- will you be relocating to the Everett or Kitsap area?

The majority of the contests around here (WA, OR, ID, MT and Western Canada) are Pacific Northwest BBQ Association sanctioned events and the tentative schedule is listed on the website at www.pnwba.com.
Check it out and introduce yourself on the forum and get a running start!

PNWBA events are mostly Saturday/Sunday (because we're heathens) events with 1 hour turn ins starting with Pork, Brisket, Chicken & Ribs, and the ever so popular One Day "Lite" cooks that feature Tri-Tip, Sausage, Chicken, Ribs, Seafood etc. depending on the sponsors/organizers.

CASI Chili and IDOS Dutch Oven events are sometimes included at some events.

You'll need that passport for entry into Canada, because some of the best and well run events are to the North!

If you are a road warrior there are a few and far between KCBS events scheduled, one in Monroe, WA and another near Florence, OR that I know of at the moment so you might also want to check out the California BBQ Association www.cbbqa.org as well if you plan on cooking South.

See ya soon!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
BrotherInArms

Hey thanks fellas. Yeah I'm in the Navy and will be in Everett. Not sure how many comps I will be able to to do just because of my military obligation. Pretty much the same story that I have out here on the east coast. I love bbq and love to compete. If I get a call that's great. I haven't got one yet but I have been improving. I should be in WA in March. Looking forward to meeting some folks and cooking with and against the other teams out that way

Old 01-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
BKBBQ

Do a comp with tombstone...bring a bottle of jim beam....it will be a large time.
BKBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Subway Jerad!! Sorry to hear you are leaving the East coast, but I know you will do well out there!

Take Luck!!!

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Recommend a good awning with sides and heavy weights. Put your name and address on it so that when found in the next county it can be returned.

The cooking spots tend to be somewhat small with most in the 10 to 15 foot square category, no power and water is sometimes available.

I remember the first year that we moved to the Seattle area was over the 4th of July in '95. We went to some friends house to observe the fire works and sat around a bon fire wrapped in blankets to keep warm.

It really is a different world and the name "Evergreen State" is well deserved and earned with moss growing on most stationary items and a lite rain 9 months out of the year with heavy rain the other 3 and some occasional snow. And on the rare clear morning that you can see Mt. Rainier, it is gorgeous.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

oops quick fingers and can't delete
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
BrotherInArms

I'm sorry to be leaving the east coast too. But here is a way to experience some new comps

Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
oops quick fingers and can't delete
Too late Mack, you've been reported to the Washington Council of Tourism - be wary of the Mossgreen Choppers circling Plano in the future!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Badlands BBQ
Got Wood.

I remember talking to you all at your first contest in Harrisburg in 2012 (our 2nd)... The best of luck to you out there...

[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][LIST][*][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red][B]Humphrey's Cubed Pint
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][*][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=3][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Primo Oval XL[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/LIST]
Badlands BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
BrotherInArms

Thanks Badlands BBQ. hopefully I will be out West for 3 or 4 years before I get come back closer to home

Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmericanBBQ View Post
Thanks Badlands BBQ. hopefully I will be out West for 3 or 4 years before I get come back closer to home
When you get a chance, e-mail me, or PM me, there are some really awesome cooks up near Everett that I am sure will help you out, one cool thing about being up here in the PNW is that other cooks are EXTREMELY friendly and always willing to help others out. I live about 3 hours south of you but if I can help you with everything AT all let me know, and, yes, I do have a fondness for Jim Beam ;)
Another tip would be too checkout the PNWBA forum!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome!
I'm sure both swamprb and columbia1 have answered most of your questions but ...

We do roughly 30 events per year, starting as early as March and finishing up in September. Most of them 2 day events but some lite cook/1 day events as well.

I second what Smoke'N Ice said, bring weights with you for your canopies and write your info on them so when they're found in the neighboring county, they can be returned. ;)
OK, so it's not quite THAT bad, but I've seen my fair share of tents crumpled up like aluminum foil due to wind. Just ask anybody who was at the Renton, WA Sam's Club event last April.

Feel free to shoot any of us a PM if you have questions.
I lurk more than I post but as columbia1 pointed out, most people here are willing to help out in any way they can.

Last edited by ckelly; 01-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: changed line 2
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Oh, and spots are GENERALLY as follows:
Tiered entry fee based on the size of the spot requested.
Not all events have this, but most do.

10x20
20x20
"RV Spot"

Typical comp site is 20x20
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote