oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  


Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Default Great American BBQ

OK who all is in? With the teams in the line up at Oklahoma Joe's this weekend, and the size of this thing, it looks like incredibly tough competition. I have no delusions of walking here BUT I was just thinking as I cleaned equipment and re-packed this afternoon that while I love the smaller contests, something like this truly is a great chance to see just how well you stack up against the big boys (and girls). My wife said we'd just go and give it our "A" effort and see what happens. I said "Fark yeah!" Party AFTER the last turn-in!
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker
 
River City Smokehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-25-05
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Default

Sounds like Party and free beer at Jeff's spot!
I am there Friday morning! Spot #386 Gonna kick it up~! I got the BBQ Guru installed today and ready for action. This baby is swwweeeeet! Had some welding done to her today and lit her up. 2 1/2 hrs with 3 sticks of wood! That may not sound like much but I got a lot of space to heat up.
See ya there Jeff and all!
__________________
"Please let me be the person my dog thinks I am." ~Author Unknown
8 x 18 Haulmark Trailer
Fast Eddy FEC 100
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker
 
HoDeDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-19-06
Location: Kansas City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse
Sounds like Party and free beer at Jeff's spot!
I am there Friday morning! Spot #386 Gonna kick it up~! I got the BBQ Guru installed today and ready for action. This baby is swwweeeeet! Had some welding done to her today and lit her up. 2 1/2 hrs with 3 sticks of wood! That may not sound like much but I got a lot of space to heat up.
See ya there Jeff and all!
Wow man - 2 1/2 hours with only 3 sticks??? That is killer for you rig!!! (And it is a NICE rig...)

you will be gettin sleep!!
__________________
Andy /Smoke on Wheels Competition BBQ - www.smokeonwheels.com
HoDeDo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Default

Forgot to mention... we're in 551, hopefully a little farther away from all the crowd and the carnival midway, etc. Will be in on Thursday late afternoon. Guessing around 3pm.

Yeah, Jim, that cooker kicks! Very nice piece of equipment! Do you know where you finished at OKJ?
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker
 
HoDeDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-19-06
Location: Kansas City
Default

I'll be making rounds too.... looking forward to meeting folks I haven't yet met.

Jim- I will let you know when I get a line on the scores, and see if you have them yet. I think we were 28th overall, and 13th in chicken. don't remember the rest.....
__________________
Andy /Smoke on Wheels Competition BBQ - www.smokeonwheels.com
HoDeDo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Default

Ouch! That hurt! Gentlemen, I will be the first to say that I got my arse handed to me this weekend! Part of it was the incredible competition who was entered. The rest was that for some reason, my head wasn't in it and I screwed the pooch big time. I didn't party (I think I only had a six pack the entire time there) but things just didn't go right, from the beginning when I showed up to find my site wasn't where it was supposed to be to the ending disappointment of not getting called in 15 places in four categories. Check it out: last contest, I put my pork on at 8:30 pm Friday night. It wasn't done til around 10:30 or 11 am on saturday. This time I put 'em on at 9:30 pm Friday (an hour later)... and the farkers were DONE as done could be at 7:30 AM this morning!! Tried to keep this warm without drying out. No chance! I meant to slice one but both were overdone. Ended up chopping it and doctoring up with lots of apple juice and Blues Hog regular. It sucked. Bad. Brisket I thought was dry. And I had no second choice because my other brisket was dry and hard as month old cow chit in an August pasture! I forgot it as turn in's started and by then, it was too late. My chicken I overdid it in browning the skin and it looked a bit bad. The toothpicks didn't do their job and hold shape to the thighs and the skin pulled up like farking postage stamps on a few of the best sized ones. My ribs, I was happy with and thought we had a slim shot for something like 15th there. Didn't happen. Three of the four turn-in's, my wife made it with less than a minute to go. We were stressed. Guess my new Gun's N Roses CD isn't going to work for turn-in time music.

On a positive note, we had about 25 family and friends over on Friday night for dinner at our site. I thought that would distract me from my job but it really didn't.

Also positive, I got to meet Myron Mixon and his right hand man, Nick. Jack's Old South all came running over to my site Thursday afternoon when a big ol' gust of wind grabbed my canopy and shoved it about 15-20 feet back across the parking lot while I was trying to set up. They helped me get it back in place and stabilized. Real good folks they are. I invited them here to the Brethren site by the way. I hope they come by. Nick is funny as hell, a great BBQ cook and a damned nice guy. We kinda hit it off and he brought me over a sample of all four categories they turned in. Great stuff. I felt honored to be sampling their work! Nick also offered up a great bunch of tips and tricks to us during the course of the last 48 hours that I will definitely use... when my head's back in the game, dang it!

If I recall, the only Brethren to walk in the Open was Rod.

It was hot as hell and windy but an incredibly well run contest. The volunteers on golf carts were contantly there asking "Is everthing ok?" or "Do you need ice or water?" "Can we help you with anything?" etc. It was unlike anything I've seen or heard of. Quite a huge contrast to the Royal. Congrats and thanks to the GAB committee for an oustanding event and congrats to all the winners.
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Solidkick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-21-03
Location: Bandera Owner in Missouri
Default

WTG Mark and Becky! GC in The GAB and the Royal is impressive....

Now, what really impresses me just a little more.......Rod (Pellet Envy, known here as KCPellethead) won the GC of the invitational on his FE, then used his new Geer pit in the open and finished 8th......the man can cook!
__________________
Mr. Kick


------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-03
Location: Clearwater, FL
Default

Jeff;

Sometimes you eat the bear...and sometimes the bear eats you!!

Having a "not so good" weekend (disasters are different!!) has always been educational for me...after I get over blaming the judges, etc. Tim and I have a routine whether we win, lose, draw, or wonder what the heck are we doing here...we sit around drinking a beer or two, in the dark, not saying a word; then we say something like "that sucked"; then we get some sleep!! The next day we start the post-mortem over breakfast - but not before a pot or three of coffee.

We've learned valuable lessons from each and every outing. One thing you are definately in the middle of is learning time management with your new cooker. It'll come!!

I'm glad you got to meet Myron and the others from Jack's Old South. They are good people. I got to know Myron and David Hare fairly well last year and regard them pretty highly. Tasting their product is educational.

Just like in sports, you have to do the evaluation and then shake off the "last game" and get ready for the next.
__________________
Dave
Southern Brethren BBQ Competition Team

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker
 
scottyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-05
Location: South Dakota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Ouch! That hurt! Gentlemen, I will be the first to say that I got my arse handed to me this weekend! Part of it was the incredible competition who was entered. The rest was that for some reason, my head wasn't in it and I screwed the pooch big time. I didn't party (I think I only had a six pack the entire time there) but things just didn't go right, from the beginning when I showed up to find my site wasn't where it was supposed to be to the ending disappointment of not getting called in 15 places in four categories. Check it out: last contest, I put my pork on at 8:30 pm Friday night. It wasn't done til around 10:30 or 11 am on saturday. This time I put 'em on at 9:30 pm Friday (an hour later)... and the farkers were DONE as done could be at 7:30 AM this morning!! Tried to keep this warm without drying out. No chance! I meant to slice one but both were overdone. Ended up chopping it and doctoring up with lots of apple juice and Blues Hog regular. It sucked. Bad. Brisket I thought was dry. And I had no second choice because my other brisket was dry and hard as month old cow chit in an August pasture! I forgot it as turn in's started and by then, it was too late. My chicken I overdid it in browning the skin and it looked a bit bad. The toothpicks didn't do their job and hold shape to the thighs and the skin pulled up like farking postage stamps on a few of the best sized ones. My ribs, I was happy with and thought we had a slim shot for something like 15th there. Didn't happen. Three of the four turn-in's, my wife made it with less than a minute to go. We were stressed. Guess my new Gun's N Roses CD isn't going to work for turn-in time music.

On a positive note, we had about 25 family and friends over on Friday night for dinner at our site. I thought that would distract me from my job but it really didn't.

Also positive, I got to meet Myron Mixon and his right hand man, Nick. Jack's Old South all came running over to my site Thursday afternoon when a big ol' gust of wind grabbed my canopy and shoved it about 15-20 feet back across the parking lot while I was trying to set up. They helped me get it back in place and stabilized. Real good folks they are. I invited them here to the Brethren site by the way. I hope they come by. Nick is funny as hell, a great BBQ cook and a damned nice guy. We kinda hit it off and he brought me over a sample of all four categories they turned in. Great stuff. I felt honored to be sampling their work! Nick also offered up a great bunch of tips and tricks to us during the course of the last 48 hours that I will definitely use... when my head's back in the game, dang it!

If I recall, the only Brethren to walk in the Open was Rod.

It was hot as hell and windy but an incredibly well run contest. The volunteers on golf carts were contantly there asking "Is everthing ok?" or "Do you need ice or water?" "Can we help you with anything?" etc. It was unlike anything I've seen or heard of. Quite a huge contrast to the Royal. Congrats and thanks to the GAB committee for an oustanding event and congrats to all the winners.
YOU KNOW JEFF,

I WAS DOING WONDERFUL AND GETTING CALLED AT ALL LOCAL AND AREA CONTESTS AND I WAS BARGING TO MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS HOW GOOD I WAS DOING AND GREAT I WAS. AND THEN THIS CONTEST CAME WHERE I INVITED ALL MY FAMILY, FRIENDS, EVEN SCHOOL TEACHERS FROM WHEN I WAS A YOUNG KID, THIS CONTEST WAS IN MY HOME TOWN, I THOUGHT I HAD THIS CONTEST HANDS DOWN. WOW!!!! TO MY SUPRRISE DID NOT EVEN PLACE IN THE TOP 20 IN ANY CATAGORY. IN ANYTHING I WAS SO HUMILIATED. MAN OVER CONFEDONCE. I MET RON L AT THIS CONTEST HE WAS JUST PASSING THOUGH TOWN AND STOPPED BY TO INTRODUCE HIMSELF BOY WAS I COCKY, NEVER AGAIN I AM A HUMBLE MAN NOW I TAKE WHAT I GET, AND GET WHAT I DESERVE. I HAVE LOST THE BRAG BONE EFFECT. JUST MY EXPERENCE.

OH YEAH I MET PELLET ENVY THERE AND PERROT HEAD SMOKERS THERE AND ALOT OF OTHER TOO. I DID GET A MAJOR A$$ WOOPIN. AND I NEEDED IT. MY WIFE SAYS I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR IT.

GOOD LUCK
__________________
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]SCOTTY D[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red][SIZE=2]SCOTTY D'S BUILT FOR BBQ[/SIZE] [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[B]LANG 84[/B]
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
icemn62
Babbling Farker
 
icemn62's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-04
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Default

So you had a bad contest...You did have fun didn't you? Did you enjoy yourself? If you could time travel, would you do it again, or were you all weekend long saying to yourself "i should have stayed hmoe?"

You know what you are supposed to do during the comps, you did not do it this time, but you will next time. You got to meet BBQ people, cook laugh, talk, and drink with good folks you have a shared interest with.

Better luck next time on the stage thing.
__________________
Weber Kettle, WSM, Dyna-Glo Offset, George Foreman Grilll

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE


WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
SP
is one Smokin' Farker
 
SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-20-06
Location: Kansas City
Default

I feel for you, I did squat too. I cooked a Kobe that I got from Bich's but the thing came out of the cryovac with some prety deep cuts right trough the prime area. I though my ribs were good, which means they were bad. Ohh well I got to meet some brethren. While talking to Jeff I also got to meet Nick from Jacks Ol south. Like Jeff said hell of a guy. He took me on a complete tour of their cooker and told some tricks to. Guess Ill find out how I did MOnday.
__________________
[COLOR=blue]Clay[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]The Original Sauced Pigs BBQ Team[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemn62
So you had a bad contest...You did have fun didn't you? Did you enjoy yourself? If you could time travel, would you do it again, or were you all weekend long saying to yourself "i should have stayed hmoe?"

You know what you are supposed to do during the comps, you did not do it this time, but you will next time. You got to meet BBQ people, cook laugh, talk, and drink with good folks you have a shared interest with.

Better luck next time on the stage thing.
Yeah Gary, I did have fun! It was great to meet Doorbusters (even though we live like 20 farking minutes apart!) and SP and to see Jim (River City Smokehouse) again! Would I do it over again? I'll have to think on that one awhile. I said I didn't want to do the Royal again because of the size, hassle, etc. I'm just not sure I'm up for the big contests. I REALLY enjoy the 25 to 75 team contests. It gets difficult to get to see all the folks you know at ones like this where everyone is so spread out. Especially with just my wife and I. We're so busy that we don't get around to everyone. I think once every year or two, we'll do a bigger one to see where we stack up vs. the big names then go back to the smaller contests and improve before trying it again.
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker
 
HoDeDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-19-06
Location: Kansas City
Default

Jeff-
I think getting out of your groove from when you have done well makes a diff. too..... Not partying, and getting a little loose, and getting your cooking groove going may have hurt

When you did well you partied it up - and still managed your meat.

So -- did you Fab B the brisket? I told ya I thought it made my last one dry. Interesting.... yours were too. Anyone else had that outcome?

It was good to see you Thurs. and Fri. -- and at one this big, it's anyones game, so just enjoy the experience. I ended up staying around til 2am on Friday -- I had forgotten it was my cousin's first cook -- FUBAR-B-Que. I'll find out how they did on Monday.

Just look around the results, and see how everyone did, I tend to enjoy just finding a friend to shovel friendly crap on. Just ask Bob - Aka, Celery King.....
__________________
Andy /Smoke on Wheels Competition BBQ - www.smokeonwheels.com
HoDeDo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jeff_in_KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-04-05
Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
Default

Yep... FAB B... may scrap that stuff and just go with the recipe for injection I showed you. I cooked it up and it tasted pretty good. I added to it with FAB B. It may be time to scrap that stuff.
__________________
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 05-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker
 
HoDeDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-19-06
Location: Kansas City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Yep... FAB B... may scrap that stuff and just go with the recipe for injection I showed you. I cooked it up and it tasted pretty good. I added to it with FAB B. It may be time to scrap that stuff.
I told ya that was my plan! I'll let you know how it goes in Platte City. I'm going back to Dr.BBQ's injection or possibly going to try some Willingham's mixed into that.....

Have also heard of some stuff called Mr. Beefy? Any ideas/thoughts on that anyone?
__________________
Andy /Smoke on Wheels Competition BBQ - www.smokeonwheels.com
HoDeDo is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great American BBQ checks! matthew burt Competition BBQ 2 06-05-2011 05:26 PM
What does this do for the Great American BBQ Just Pulin' Pork Competition BBQ 21 07-27-2008 10:04 PM
The Great American BBQ Tour KC_Bobby Competition BBQ 10 01-28-2008 10:00 AM
Is anyone going to The Great American BBQ Chick'n Pig BBQ Competition BBQ 8 03-03-2006 10:13 PM
The Great American Pastime: BBQ BrooklynQ Q-talk 3 06-17-2005 10:51 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts