Turn-in box

DaSmokin'Chili

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I do chili contests and was given the tip: to seal my turn-in cup(with a warm liquid), wipe it clean, then fill the cup with my comp. chili....As in ICS chili and in KCBS the containers are styrofoam. Styrofoam seems to effect the chili flavor... I have yet to compete in any BBQ contests and I am trying to get all my B's and Q's in order before I give it a run this summer.

Has anyone tried this technique before building their turn-in boxes? If so, anyone have any noticeable results? Then again you don't want to stain your turn-in box. I have also heard that too much moisture in the box can cause your meat to turn grayish?

As a Master CBJ and a competition cook, I have never notice any taste from the turn in boxes. We set all of our meat on parsley putting greens so they are not actually coming in contact with the box itself.
Hope this helps and good luck on the BBQ Trail.

I also do chili contests and I think they call that priming the cup. Not necessary in BBQ as the meat sits on a bed of parsley or lettuce. We spritz the meat just before closing to help give the meat a little shine. Haven't heard of meat turning grey but I could see too much moisture could make the box look like a rain forest.

Most people put their meats on a bed of parsley and/or lettuce. I think that prevents any potential taste transfer from Styrofoam. I have never had a problem with it from any contests I have judged or competed in.

We spritz the meat just before closing to help give the meat a little shine. Haven't heard of meat turning grey but I could see too much moisture could make the box look like a rain forest.

As a master judge with over 135 contests judged I agree that I've never noticed meat turning grey. I suspect if that's happening though, you'd see it on your appearance scores. I have seen boxes with moisture on the inside lids which is the result of hot meat being placed into a cold box. I've not noticed it looking like a rain forest though:rain:

I also do chili contests and I think they call that priming the cup. Not necessary in BBQ as the meat sits on a bed of parsley or lettuce. We spritz the meat just before closing to help give the meat a little shine. Haven't heard of meat turning grey but I could see too much moisture could make the box look like a rain forest.

> BBQ as the meat sits on a bed of parsley or lettuce.

Not all BBQ competitions (nor sanctioning bodies) allow garnish; they're set directly in the box.

We do call that "priming the cup". I've also judged a few hundred competitions (so that's probably many thousands of entries) in BBQ sans garnish and have never had the occasion to judge something that had a peculiar styrofoam taste.

was thinking that "priming" might be over-kill before garnishing the turn-in box. Was brainstorming of anything I could do to get an edge in comps....:-D.
Its not so much as the transfer of styrofoam to the meat, as the styrofoam seems absorb some of the chili flavor in Chili....
Thanks, I dont want to spend time doing things that unnecessary:doh:

Back