The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
chad350ss
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Over smoked bacon

Well I tried my hand at making some bacon, did a brown sugar TQ cure, after the soak out it tasted awesome fried up. So last night I cold smoked it for about 6 hours and now it tastes horrible fried up. Pretty sure I just let it go to long. So my question is can I salvage it by letting it mellow out in the fridge for a while. If so how long can I safely leave it in the fridge? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chad

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

A little more information on your process would some insight to answer your question.

My bacon is smoked for about 6 hours or more, cold smoked for 4 hours then slowly brought to a finishing temperature over the next 3 to 4 hours.

But to answer your question, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator and the smoke flavor will mellow out.

Do you see black spot on it (like tar)?

Unread 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
chad350ss

I use a a mesh tray that i have bent so i have basically a horse shoe to put my wood chips in. I used cherry wood chips and apple pellets on top of the cherry chips. I have used this combo before with cheese with great results. The mesh tray was at 12in off the bottom of the uds and the bacon at 7in from top of drum and all vents wide open. There was a small black spot on the bacon but it wasn't on the part that i sliced off and fried though.

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Chop it up and put in Chili.

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Or a Pot of Beans......

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Maybe let it mellow but i only would cure and cold smoke...not cold and hot smoke. The hot is in the skillet.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
YetiDave
Full Fledged Farker

I cold smoke for 24 hours! Let the meat rest uncovered in the fridge for a day or two, that should help the flavour mellow out

Unread 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

I really messed up once and way oversmoked some and it smelled like an ashtray

I soaked it in water overnight, was able to salvage it

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I cold smoked my last batch for 12hrs and it was over smoked in my opinion. Let it set in the fridge for about a week to mellow out and it didnt seem to make any difference. Maybe soaking it in water like buttburner suggested will do the trick if it happens to me again I will try that

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
chad350ss

Thanks for the input everybody, I'll let it rest over the weekend and see if it's any better on Sunday. I might try the soak out on some of it. I also thought about putting a potato in with it. Any thoughts on using potatoes?

Thanks again

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never used potatoes myself but have heard old timers talk about doing it with cured and salted pork to help soak up the salt guess its worth a shot. It seems to me that soaking it will not only cut down on the smoke but also the saltiness which will hurt your overall flavor of the bacon

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

It really needs to be understood that all cold smoking is not equal....Quality of smoke is as different in cold smoking as it is in hot smoking.

The best quality smoke comes from a hot fire not a cold smoldering fire. Also the the outside temperature and the smoking container makes a difference. Smoke condensing on meat or cheese is bad enough but a bad quality smoke condensing on your product is even worse (ash tray taste) Sometime i'll do a post explaining the science behind quality of smoke but it does make a difference.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I couldnt agree more with the above post. The quality and density of the smoke have a whole lot to do with the process. I believe thats why we see so many differences in smoke times

Unread 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Personally, I like a strong smoked taste in my dry cured back bacon.

I do the following protocol :

12Hrs cold smoke
12Hrs rest
12hrs cold smoke
12Hrs rest
12hrs cold smoke
12Hrs rest
12hrs cold smoke
12Hrs rest
12hrs cold smoke
12Hrs rest

Slice, vac. pack and leave in the fridge for a couple of days or freeze.

Like I said, I like strong smoke flavour in my bacon, so this may seem excessive to some.