oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
PappaOscar
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS build

Ok guys, neighbor dropped off my barrel for the UDS build yesterday. Two questions...
1) have to cut top off. Grinder or zawsaw?
2) help me find UDS build thread on here!
Pics to follow on the build.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

This one!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Friction33
Full Fledged Farker

PappaOscar. Give yourself plenty of time to read through that thread dport7 posted. It took me 3 days to read it. Lots and lots of great info and ideas. I am starting my first UDS build today. Good luck and please post pics.
Friction33 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
CarlWayne
is One Chatty Farker

Search for narcoredneck's build thread. I followed it. Very easy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Enjoy

Old 01-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWayne View Post
Search for narcoredneck's build thread. I followed it. Very easy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Enjoy
That is a very good thread also, might want to research the diameter of the air intakes, a lot of talk on air in and air out.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Shoes
Knows what a fatty is.

Took me 3 days to build mine, and another couple of weeks to fine tune it....Im still messing with it. Read up while you start the process. The burn out and clean out process is the same regardless of design. I had to burn mine 2x. Once upright, second time laying on its side to get the bottom 1/3. Then you gotta sand the carbon off inside n out. It's dirty, dirty. So have plenty of antifreeze handy...whiskey, rum....cocoa. Personally, to build a new one, I would go with 3-1" intakes, one capped, 2 valved. Lay your grate holes out in a 3 hole pattern. Use the charcoal grate from a 22" weber for the base of your firebox, this gives you a size that nearly fills up the drum at 17 1/2" round. My first firebox was 12" round and I get more even cookin with the bigger box. That was the biggest single upgrade I discovered. I also find the single 2" exhaust gave me solid temps. By the time I calculated cost for everything, drum, sandpaper, pipe nipples and knockout washers, stainless hardware, thermometer, paint, ball valves, cooking grates x2, charcoal grate and firebox, unibits, drillbits, misc. hardware and custom options I'm over 200 dollars. Maybe I'd buy a bigpoppasmoker. Half the fun is doing it yourself and talkin stories with your buddies over beers and ribs about getting the fire dept called because the burnout flames were ten ft tall.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Use an angle grinder on the outside edge of the top. It is just rolled over with the bottom like a J and an upside down J hooked together, if that makes sense. It takes about 20 minutes, and the top fits real snug if you are using it for the lid. Wear gloves!!!
Thermapen Mk4
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote