Pulled beef and smoked prime rib

Smoke House Moe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thinking of some new items for the menu and wondering how pulled beef and how smoked prime rib sells?

What cut do you use for pulled?
How do you serve prime rib? Large Sammie, or alone?
Do you trim the fat and fat "eye" if serving a sandwich?
What sides go well with these?

Thanks

I would use brisket for the pulled beef. Chuck would work also, but I would think that would get too expensive. Right now brisket would cost me $4.50/lb to use as pulled beef. Chuck is running $2.83/lb raw. I am not sure what the yield is for chuck, but that is about $.60 more expensive than brisket.

I do a smoked NY strip for my cheese steak. I like it because it doesn't have the eye of fat in it. I slice the NY thin and reheat on a flattop grill. You could hold this and serve hot if you can go through it fast enough. I put 5 oz on a hoagie bun with provolone and grilled onions and charge $8.75.

I let the customer choose from the sides I have. Were you thinking about doing a set meal?

I attended a county fair this year where they did a rib-eye steak sandwich that was literally a thin rib-eye seared on the flat top. It was kinda tough to eat.

I also have considered doing a prime rib sandwich for my business, but the fat on it creates a lot of debate and issues. Go to a restaurant that serves a bunch of prime rib and you will see a bunch of nearly clean plates and a bunch with all the fat left behind.

never want to serve fat or untrimmed the customers will ask to leave the fat on, as some like it, but not worth the chance for others to complain..When time permits, I carmelize the fat like burnt ends and hand out samples, however only when slow..
The cost of a rib roast about 599 to 7:00 a pound really makes hard for profit..Look at brisket, at 250 a pound, I sell bulk at 12...hard to justify asking 20 to 25 a pound. But people will pay 10 to 11 dollars for a stacked prime rib, but the profit is just not there. For pulled beef use the brisket point, it has been a great seller for me,easy to serve, easy to make and as Lucy said, its tasty too!

Back