I want to make beef jerky

bacchus99

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
There is a place that sells homemade beef jerky that is close to me. It's more like chunks of juicy beef roast jerky. I have no idea how they make it or even how to get started. I'm not too interested in making dried out impossible to chew jerky. I have a Weber kettle and a WSM and access to a dehydrator. I'd like some smoke flavor in there.

I guess I'm interested in a process start to finish of someone using the above equipment to make jerky. I don't want to have to go out and buy some special equipment.

Can someone get me started? Thanks!

Start on youtube because there are lots of recipes out there. Mine is a recipe based on Alton Brown's but dried in a dehydrator. Some people put cure in theirs but i don't bother since i dehydrate mine @ 160* and it's devoured with in a week.

Some dry in the oven and some use their smokers if they can get low enough heat....most electrics do.

For smoke flavor my recipe use liquid smoke but i started using a cold smoker and cold smoke for a couple of hours prior to dehydrating and that works great.

over the weekend, I made some beef jerky from stew meat I got on sale and it came out pretty good. Soaked in worchestershire sauce, teriyaki & a little chipotle powder for 24 hrs., patted dry & put in my 12-yr. old dehydrator for a few hours. Surprisingly it still works well for a $20 wal-mart special. I got an Amaze-n-tube smoker for Christmas and my next batch will be cold smoked before going in the dehydrator.

No fancy equipment required, as you can dry it in the oven on a rack/baking pan combo, or if you cut into long strips, you can hang from oven racks with toothpicks over a baking rack to catch the drips. Many methods on YouTube/internetz as mentioned above.

Making jerky

Jerky is super easy to make. I just made a couple batches at Christmas.

I prefer muscle meat jerky (jack links) over ground meat (slim Jim's). I've done venison and beef and both are great.

For beef I find the easiest is an eye round.

1. Trim off all fat and membrane (they make it tougher plus can lead to early spoilage). I usually do 3-4 lbs at a time.
  2. Cut in 1/8th inch slices.
  3. Coat with cure (many available online) and seasoning according to directions. I use my BBQ rub as seasoning. It taste great without coming across as bbqy. Cure makes it completely safe and stable for an extended period of time.
  4. Let sit for 24 hours in fridge. Turn a few times.
  5. Put flat on grates/racks (unless you buy a jerky hanger) and leave space on all side for airflow. Use Pam or you're going have a tough time getting it off and cleaning rack.
  6. Heat oven or smoker to 200 (at most). Leave door or vent open to allow max airflow and wick away moisture.
  7. Let it go for about 2 hours until it's mostly dry but flexible. You can use lower temps with longer times if you want. It's your choice. You're looking for texture more than anything else.

Hopefully this helps,

Jerry

There is a place that sells homemade beef jerky that is close to me. It's more like chunks of juicy beef roast jerky. I have no idea how they make it or even how to get started. I'm not too interested in making dried out impossible to chew jerky. I have a Weber kettle and a WSM and access to a dehydrator. I'd like some smoke flavor in there.

I guess I'm interested in a process start to finish of someone using the above equipment to make jerky. I don't want to have to go out and buy some special equipment.

Can someone get me started? Thanks!

I just made some yesterday. After marinating overnight (with some pink salt) I cold smoked it for about 3-4 hours using the Amaze-n-tube smoker , then set the smoker up to run at about 180. That went another 2-3 hrs as I recall and then pulled it when it was close to what I want the finished product to be texture wise. I think it gets a bit dryer after you take it out of the smoker.

I've done some on my smoker but the problem I have is trying to get the correct flavor profile. Since you have a local place you like, see if they would sell you some of their spices you use. If not, then there are tons of recipes on the net. Most I've seen are soaked in worshy or teriyaki with a blend of spices.
If you are going to use a dehydrator, then no need for cure but you would have to add liquid smoke.
If you use a smoker then i add cure (1/4 tsp) per lb and marinate overnite or a couple of days. I start off at 140* for 1 hr then increse by 10 degrees until the temp reaches 170. At that point I just monitor the jerky until it gets to the firmness I want.
I too don't like hard to bite jerky.You will almost have to pull it when you think it is almost done. Alot of trial and error.
Also, you can make ground meat jerky. I've never tried it but I got a Jerky Cannon for Christmas. Plan on making some beef sticks for New years and might do a test run for ground meat jerky.

I've actually cured mine like bacon with kosher salt, brown sugar and 100% maple syrup. When the three are mixed it becomes a paste. I use trimmed brisket flat, rub the cure mixture on generously and refrigerate for a week, flipping the meat daily to keep it evenly coated in cure as moisture comes out of it. When the week is up I give the meat a good rinse and then soak it for a couple of hours to make sure that excess salt is removed from the surface and then make 1/4 inch slices across the grain. The meat strips then get seasoned with a little garlic and coarse pepper after which I smoke it for an hour with oak or pecan at about 200 degrees and then finish it in a dehydrator. The salt is countered by the sugar and maple syrup and the end result is a good tasting product. Also since the meat was sliced against the grain it is easier to bite through after it is dried. Here's the cure recipe if you'd like to try it... For 1 pound of meat 1 teaspoon Morton's kosher salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
1/4 cup water

I made some two weeks ago. Here is the recipe I used. I found it here.

Hot and Sweet Jerky
makes enough marinade for five pounds of sliced venison / beef.

1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper

I substituted pink salt for the Tender Quick and use 1/2 cup soy, 1/2 cup Dales sauce. I did use an eye of round. I hand sliced it so it wasn't very consistent thickness(will check if butcher may slice for me next time). I tried for 1/4 inch thickness. It smoked for about 4 hours at 160ish, then the last two for 180ish. BUT, I more or less went by feel of how flexible it was. I put it all in the same bag for about 24 hours to let it mellow out. It wasnt too dry and chewy for me. It turned out rather well and I might make some more soon.

Last edited:
So when "cold" smoking at 150F or 160F i would think that would keep the meat in the danger zone for awhile? I guess people are doing it so it must be ok.

I'm thinking of trying the coffee can and 3 or 4 briquettes with wood chips in the kettle....that should produce a nice low temp.

I made some two weeks ago. Here is the recipe I used. I found it here.

Hot and Sweet Jerky
makes enough marinade for five pounds of sliced venison / beef.

1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 Tablespoons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1/2 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper

I substituted pink salt for the Tender Quick and use 1/2 cup soy, 1/2 cup Dales sauce. I did use an eye of round. I hand sliced it so it wasn't very consistent thickness(will check if butcher may slice for me next time). I tried for 1/4 inch thickness. It smoked for about 4 hours at 160ish, then the last two for 180ish. BUT, I more or less went by feel of how flexible it was. I put it all in the same bag for about 24 hours to let it mellow out. It wasnt too dry and chewy for me. It turned out rather well and I might make some more soon.

Just an FYI, tender quick has way less pink salt in it than regular pink salt. You should of used less than half

If you watch the Alton brown episode where he makes beef jerky you will learn a ton about how it supposed to be made.

It is traditionally made at low temps with lots of air flow to DRY the meat not cook it.

This is how the cowboys did it back in the day.

I like to use eye of round from costco, they usually have it in cyrovac .
Remove from package, rinse and remove any fat you can see.
Put in freezer for 2 hours then slice thin with a meat slicer.

Makes great jerkey meat.

So when "cold" smoking at 150F or 160F i would think that would keep the meat in the danger zone for awhile? I guess people are doing it so it must be ok.

I'm thinking of trying the coffee can and 3 or 4 briquettes with wood chips in the kettle....that should produce a nice low temp.

Cold smoking is typically below 100*.

I'm cold smoking at ambient temps for a couple of hours and then it goes into the dehydrator @ 160* With the pieces being so thin and using so much salt and sugars there's no concern with the danger zone.

Some use cure but i just don't see the need because the jerky lasts weeks in the fridge anyway although mine never exceeds a week.

Yep, wsm 160 degrees target. Eye of round sliced thin WITH the grain. Hang from the top with toothpicks or skewers. I start checking at 6 hours and usually done at 7 hours.

Remember let jerky sit 10 minutes at room temp before testing or texture will be off.

Jerky is very easy, you can dial in the flavors and spiciness you like, you can do it in a smoker, an oven, a dehydrator or any combination of these. Jerky can have a wet cure/marinade... or a dry cure. Beef and wild game is popular, but you can also make jerky from turkey, goose, pork, and even salmon. If you want a more traditional chew, slice your meat with the grain. For a more tender bite, slice it against the grain. If you want, there are even guns that will make ground meat strips for jerky.

For many years I have used Hi Mountain Jerky kits. They have too many flavors to mention, but the kits come with packets of cure and seasoning, all you do is weigh your trimmed meat and measure the correct amount. This is a dry cure, so the meat is sprinkled with the seasoning/cure, stacked and wrapped in plastic for 24 hours and then smoked/dried. I usually add a few more spices especially pepper or cayenne or Temper Temper rub from Penderey's. Anyway here is some moose sliced and ready to cure.

11-11-12015aa.jpg

A close up showing the seasoning

10-19-12011aaa.jpg

The finished product - I smoked this for 2 or 3 hours and did an oven finish

10-19-12017aaa.jpg

Wild meat is very lean so I give the jerky a very light spray of olive oil, then shake it in a bag with some more seasonings. Then let it dry a few hours before bagging.

11-11-12026aa.jpg

Just an FYI, tender quick has way less pink salt in it than regular pink salt. You should of used less than half

I used the recommendation on the salt package. It was 1/2 teaspoon per pound, I think. I was afraid the tender quick would make it too tender. And sorry, I didn't "find" the recipe, someone posted it for me.

Actually, pink salt and Tenderquick are both curing agents, with slightly different characteristics. TQ has both nitrites and nitrates in a salt/sugar carrier.... pink salt salt only has nitrites in a salt carrier. The total percentage of nitrates/nitrites in TQ is 1%,.... and pink salt has 6.25% nitrites. One thing to keep in mind, there is not a direct conversion between the two products for substitution because the nitrate in TQ acts in a time-release fashion. The best approach when using curing agents is to stick with a proven recipe.

I used the recommendation on the salt package. It was 1/2 teaspoon per pound, I think. I was afraid the tender quick would make it too tender. And sorry, I didn't "find" the recipe, someone posted it for me.

Despite it's name, Tenderquick is not a tenderizer. Another weird thing is, Tenderquick and Sugar Cure are exactly the same product.... Years ago when Morton reduced the amount of sugar in Sugar Cure, they did not want to loose a market share so they kept both products. From the Morton site:

"Morton® Tender Quick® mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton® Tender Quick® mix can be used interchangeably with Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix. It is NOT a meat tenderizer."

Thirdeye, I really appreciate your posts. You have done your homework and present great answers to the questions. The whole curing thing is a mystery to most people and there are some many bogus Youtube videos about curing that I am surprised we don't have more bacterial infections..
The book, Charcuterie, is a great introduction to curing foods. It also has some great recipes.

I have had several neighbors give me their great Beef Jerky. However, if you eat too much of it you get the runs. Uncured, dried in the oven at a low temp for many hours. Bacteria heaven!

Thanks for some sanity!

Thirdeye, I really appreciate your posts. You have done your homework and present great answers to the questions. The whole curing thing is a mystery to most people and there are some many bogus Youtube videos about curing that I am surprised we don't have more bacterial infections..
The book, Charcuterie, is a great introduction to curing foods. It also has some great recipes.

I have had several neighbors give me their great Beef Jerky. However, if you eat too much of it you get the runs. Uncured, dried in the oven at a low temp for many hours. Bacteria heaven!

Thanks for some sanity!

I have that book also, they have a basics dry cure recipe and it is very similar to tender quick . It's great for making your own bacon, and yes using some cure added to beef jerky is a good practice.

I just usually add a teaspoon or 2 of pink salt to my wet marinades for my beef jerky for safety .

I knew the salt was for curing and would get most the bacteria. The name "Tender" threw me. I wanted chewy jerky. IamMadMan and jaester posted recipes for me to start with. I tweaked them to my liking. Our local farm store has a wall of flavored cures for jerky and sausage.

I love this place. It stops alot of trial and error and possibly ruining cuts of meat.

Back