MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
bbqjoe
Banned

Default Group discussion #3 The "Danger zone"

Okay so we now know that 41*-135* is the area that promotes the growth of harmful bacteria. We also now know how to properly thaw meat.

Once again, HIG says that Potentially dangerous foods (PDF'S) that remain in this zone for over four hours must be discarded, whether heating or cooling.
Does this bring up any issues?
How might this affect "Low and Slow"?
Are we ok?
What do you think?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Using low cooking temps (200-250) and large cuts of meat, I'm sure that we frequently skirt the 4 hour window, if not exceed it outright. Frankly it doesn't scare me, if that was going to make me sick, it would have done it long ago.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I would ask if the cooking temp is 200 to 220 how long does thawed meat stay in the < 135 range I think I took 4 to 5 hours on a pork butt the last cook I did. Would I then have to eject the butt as to long in the danger range?
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I'm with KC here.
I understand, respect, and try to comply with the time/temp guidlines.
But, It is like the "sell by" date on food.
There is no little clock in there saying--"Wake up Cooties, time to destroy this food"
Well, maybe there is in poultry
To me, they are guidlines and I work hard to honor them.

But, by the nature of our cooking......?

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I always know its there.. up until 135-140 is when the cooty riot can begin inside that beef. So, i sit back and wait for the fight to start and then watch the mass destruction at 140. Yes by-products are left behind but no ones gotten sick on my BBQ except for eating too much of it. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

if the cut is a bone in butt as an example the interior of the meat is not a problem it will be the exterior, same with large cuts of beef. Now if the butt is boned and tied back together then you have exposed the interior to bacteria and getting the cut up to 140 in 4 hours would be a good idea.

Ground meat if cooking at low pit temps or cold smoking them a cure is called for and I would use as directed based on weight.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
bbqjoe
Banned

Very, very good point Jim.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
NorthernQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
if the cut is a bone in butt as an example the interior of the meat is not a problem it will be the exterior, same with large cuts of beef. Now if the butt is boned and tied back together then you have exposed the interior to bacteria and getting the cut up to 140 in 4 hours would be a good idea.

Ground meat if cooking at low pit temps or cold smoking them a cure is called for and I would use as directed based on weight.
Jim
Jim IMO you have nailed the issue. Cooking L & S exposes the outside to 200º+ temps which prevents bacteria growth EXCEPT on those parts cut and exposed to air (and bacteria) as in boned or ground meat.
Crown Verity gasser
Little gasser
Meco bullet, CharGriller
Refrigerator shelf, pile of rocks, stack of wood
Former Klose owner (sob)
NorthernQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
NorthernQ
On the road to being a farker

As an aside, cooling of leftover food (which has been in the critical zone for less than the 4 hour limit) must be accomplished quickly.
A 2" pan will cool to safe temp in 2 hours; a 4" pan takes 8 hours and an 8" pan takes 32 hours to cool completely!
Crown Verity gasser
Little gasser
Meco bullet, CharGriller
Refrigerator shelf, pile of rocks, stack of wood
Former Klose owner (sob)
NorthernQ is offline   Reply With Quote