First Brisket

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Bought a packer awhile back but cut it into smaller sections to make a few runs at a Brisket without cooking too much meat (just two of us to eat and going cautious).
Rubbed down with Oakridge Black Ops and rested for three hours at room temp.
View attachment 89351
On the GMG Pellet Pooper with Apple pellets. Started at midnight and went to bed set at 225°
View attachment 89352
5 AM and it is looking good. The very tip probed tender but not in other areas
View attachment 89353
8:30 AM and it probed tender all around. Off the cooker to sit on the counter for 15 minutes and the wrap in foil, a large towel, and into a tight fitting cooler
View attachment 89354
11:30 AM it is rested and ready to slice
View attachment 89355
The end sliced pretty firm
View attachment 89356
Further in the edge was a bit loose but the center held it together
View attachment 89357
There was not much of a smoke ring to speak of but that may also be a product of the pellet pooper?
View attachment 89358
Going for the burnt ends but did not go back in the cooker as it was soooo Good we had to eat it right away
View attachment 89359
MSD went for a Burnt End Sammich!
View attachment 89360
This will be diner tonight?
View attachment 89361
I am pleased with my first brisket – It tastes awesome. I may be partial but I can’t remember any brisket better. I think due to cutting the large brisket into three smaller ones, I ended up with mostly point but it does taste sooo Good! I really like the Oakridge Black Ops rub. That stuff may be like cheating!
8.5 Hour cook at 225° Nekked and a 3 hour rest. I like it but will try a little different next time to experiment.
Thanks for lookin
SD

Last edited:
Nice looking brisket!
If you want more smoke ring next time try 100% cherry pellets that have no filler woods.
Also the first couple hours of smoke try 150º to 180º as the lower temperature a pellet grill is set the more smoke it will put out.

Nice looking brisket!
If you want more smoke ring next time try 100% cherry pellets that have no filler woods.
Also the first couple hours of smoke try 150º to 180º as the lower temperature a pellet grill is set the more smoke it will put out.

Thanks - I have started and stopped it before to get more smoke as it smokes like crazy at startup. I may need to cook one on the stick burner but it sure was nice to just set it and grab some Z's

Looks good from here. Smoke rings are nice but are over rated. Some of the best 'Que I've had had little to none.

1st thing, I know nothing about "poopers" but I was told that
post oak is great for briskets in other smokers. You might give
that a shot! Good Luck!

That looks real good.
As to no smoke ring, it's just a visual asstetic in my opinion.
You're gonna get hooked if you ain't already on brisket, so might as well go through an all nighter with the stick burner :laugh:

Looks good!
Now if ya'll would stop buying briskets and flank steaks the prices would come back down to where it should be. :becky:

Right on! I know the feeling cooking a big slab of meat with only myself to eat it. Wife doesn't eat beef, oh well the neighbors love it!

Thanks for the advice - Yes I am HOOKED

Brisky Sammich last night on an onion roll with spicy mustard, mayo, onion, and sweet pickle - Heaven in my mouth

Good lookin grub you made there. Brisket is so addictive and I can't ever seem to get enuff. As for the smoke ring...it doesn't really add any flavor...they're just pretty to look at. Can't wait to see #2!

Back