The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rotisserie Christmas Leg of Lamb

Hey Guys! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

My enjoyment stepped up precipitously when I showed up at my relatives’ place in Atlanta for Christmas and they said, “Hey, care to help fire up this 9-pound leg of lamb we got for Christmas dinner? We’ve even got an Auspit at the ready to cook it on.”

Drool.

The lamb had already been blessedly assaulted with garlic a couple days prior, much of which had been poked into it like suppositories.

I took it to the next level by rubbing it down with copious rosemary from the garden, plus oregano, Dijon mustard, thyme, pepper, juice from two lemons and a bit of salt. Oh, and almost another entire head of garlic.

People in Midtown Atlanta have no idea the paradise they are living in. With a simple stroll around the block we had a bounty of hickory, maple, oak and pear tree wood with which to cook. Out West, a bundle like that would have been hard to come by and would cost a pretty penny.

We rolled my uncle’s Weber setup next to a garden curb so we had a place to whack the Auspit in the ground. With the fire lit, the moment had come for the good times to roll. Here are a couple early shots:

Later:

Because of the chilly 45 degree temps, we used the lid off to the side at times as a heat reflector.

Wait for it:

After about three hours 15 mins, the lamb was ready for the next part of the action…the getting eaten part. But that had to wait because other folks were preparing some last-minute sides, so I had to throw it on a plate and back on the grill to try and maintain temps. In doing so it went a little further in color than I would have liked, but I do prefer lamb that is still making baaa baaah sounds, so it wasn’t the end of the world.

Here’s when we arrived at the moment of glory. I wish I had a recording of the moans of joy people made when people pushed me and my camera out of the way to start plowing into the lamb. For some, they said it was the best they ever had. It was mighty tasty.

Wishing everyone a wonderful end of 2013 and a smoky and delicious 2014!

--Jonny Rotisserie

Old 12-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
EverettBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great
Thermapen- [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR]
BBQ Team - Dixie Boys BBQ
Grill - Weber SUMMIT E-670
KCBS member and CBJ
EverettBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

That's beautiful! I've always wondered whether that netting they wrap around boneless legs could be cooked ( I usually remove it and tie with butcher's twine), but now I know it can take the heat. And I love the idea of larding the leg with garlic cloves. You can never have too much garlic. Thanks!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Looks terrific.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast and Accurate Blue Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks great!!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Humphrey's Weekender, Superior Smokers SS-Two, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
rehless
Full Fledged Farker

Jonny, that looks great. Question: Is that control box some thing new? I have an Auspit and mine doesn't look like that, or is it a different model? Thank you.
rehless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

That looks outstanding.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Wowsers!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Toast

Mighty Fine Sir!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehless View Post
Jonny, that looks great. Question: Is that control box some thing new? I have an Auspit and mine doesn't look like that, or is it a different model? Thank you.
Howdy fellow Auspiteer! By control box, I am guessing you are referring to the Carrier Bracket, which is the part that suspends the motor on the spit and the spit on the Support Post? The one in the first picture is an old school basic CB with the powder coating. Perhaps you have a stainless one? Everything else shown is classic Auspit, albeit swung out over a Weber Kettle table setup rather than a fire pit.

Hope that answers your question.

--J.R.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
rehless
Full Fledged Farker

Yes,mine is stainless. Got myself a nice rod to hold the free end of the spit rod so I don't get the droop on the end. The rig goes camping with me.
rehless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

outstanding!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks delicious!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
mbshop
Babbling Farker

sweet ! I love lamb like that on the rotiss but the rest of my family is not so hot about it.
I try to do at least 1 a year.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
Phubar

Phark yes!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Auspit, Leg of lamb, rotisserie, rotisserie lamb