The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 12-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Hoppy
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default The Salt Lick in Austin Texas

Have any of you been there before?

We are going to go there this spring with my Son and Daughter in Law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-12-25-22-14-05-1.jpg (20.0 KB, 175 views)
Hoppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
AZScott
Take a breath!

It's a cool place and be sure to take a cooler of beer and enjoy the experience. There isn't anything quite like it from what I know. For other great BBQ experiences I'd head to Lockhart or spend some time in Austin at Franklin, JMMC and la Barbecue for some amazing barbecue.
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Cooter
Knows what a fatty is.

One of my favorite places, been going there since the late 70s. If you go on the weekend, expect a wait, in the summer I've seen 3 hours (I've also seen no wait in the afternoon). On the plus side, you can bring your own beer/wine (or buy next door at their winery), they have tables in the waiting area (I suggest bringing a set of dominos), and they have a band/singer to entertain.
When faced with more than an hour, we often get it to go, then take it over to the winery or to the waiting area and eat there or actually take it home.
Bring cash, they don't take credit.
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Picketwire BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

skip franklin and go strait to the source….la Barbecue
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Harry Soo (Slap Yo' Daddy) and Donna Fong (Butcher's Daughter BBq) recently did a pilgrimage to Texas BBQ's. You can see their write up of the trip on the California BBQ associations website here. http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?..._-_part_2_of_4
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
frognot
Babbling Farker

Went there once about 8-10 years ago for a wedding rehearsal dinner. We thought it was good BBQ in a very nice setting but definitely not Lockhart quality. If you have to wait, it's a great place to hang out sipping a beer.

Now if you're with a group of people not fanatical about BBQ like the Brethren are you'll probably have a real good time and most people will think it's great que. Not everybody wants to stand in line for a couple of hours for Franklin's que ( I would gladly but my wife would prefer going somewhere else).

Marty, thanks for posting the above article.

Retired: NB Bandera (2003-2009) that introduced me to y'all crazy farkers

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it."
deguerre

Thanks to N8man & NorthwestBBQ for the custom avatars!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

We've been there before a few years ago, the one actually in Driftwood is the one you want to go to. We liked the food quite a bit, and we sampled many of the meats. Plus the vibe of the place is pretty cool, at least it was when we were there, summertime with a band playing. It's a little $$$ for BBQ, but I'd go there again.

Not that you asked... But, the only place we've been in Lockhart was Kreuz, and honestly, I thought it sucked, and my wife hated it. It was a neat place, but the food was terrible. I'd put some of my worst efforts up against what we were served. The brisket was like over done dried out roast. I've had better at Dickey's. I've heard great things about Smitty's and Black's, but haven't eaten at them...yet.

We've also eaten at Mueller's in Taylor. I really liked it, but the wife was neutral. Got a dino bone just for posterity, and geez that thing is huge. Also tried their brisket and sausage. All were good.
SmokeFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For the "been there" experience, it is cool. For the quality of Q, I think you can do a lot better. The open pit and the mop (there is a funky back taste to everything from the mop) look great but severely detract from the flavor and texture of the meat. As mentioned, the one in Driftwood does not take credit cards (although the one in Round Rock does - I did not notice a difference between the two as the product went. The one in Driftwood has the cool factor, but the one in Round Rock is FAR superior in terms of customer service).

My "short" list of places that I think are better and are roughly in the area...

- Franklin – Austin
- John Mueller Meat Co – Austin
- La Barbecue – Austin
- Miller’s – Belton
- Snow’s – Lexington
- Cooper’s – Llano
- Black’s – Lockhart
- Chisholm Trail – Lockhart
- Kreuz Market – Lockhart
- Smitty’s – Lockhart
- City Market – Luling
- Louie Mueller – Taylor
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

In my opinion, Salt Lick in Driftwood is a great place to experience but there is better BBQ to be had in the area. That being said, it is well worth the effort to go there.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
jhuyser
Knows what a fatty is.

its a must visit in your BBQ bucket list in my opinion..
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
FatCoyote
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

I live right down the road from it and well the food isn't bad but it isn't great. The experience and the folks are nice. For what its worth, if you haven't been and would like to experience a themed Texas experience that is quite fun with consistent food priced accordingly you will have fun. But if your lookin' for excellent bbq you can find better and very close by..... imho
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Have a great trip...

From what I recall, the open pit is more of a warming/finishing pit.

It was the one place I wanted to get to that I decided to pass on, mainly because I was so full from all the other places.
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

The Salt Lick get's slapped around a lot, but I personally like the food there. That was one of the places we ate when I did Bluebonnets and Barbecue drives through the Hill Country in the Spring. Nobody ever complained.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

I read somewhere that they cook on gas pits and warm everything up in the open pit.. Never been myself, so I can't comment on how good it is.
JS-TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
scotttex
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You should go once for the experience, bring a cooler of beer and the bbq is certainly not bad. But like most are saying on here, plenty of places in Austin and surrounding areas that are better.
scotttex is offline   Reply With Quote