拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Need some raw ham 101 tips

I have a friend who wants me to smoke up a fresh 4h raw ham for them for Christmas. I haven't done much with raw, uncured ham. What's a good holiday method? Wet brine recipes? Talk to me.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

raw ham or fresh ham is similar to a picnic , just from the rear leg. it bbq's just like a picnic and will make sliced or pulled pork as such. if you want something like real holiday ham it must be cured and smoked.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

go on Mortons web page and go to tender quick, use thier recipe and it will be great, you need 7 to 10 days..so do it for new years..

Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Shagdog
is Blowin Smoke!

If you want to make it into "ham" you'll need to get it into a brine very soon. A 4lb ham (you said 4h i assume you meant 4lb? if not, its a lb every 12 hours) will only take 2 days to cure in brine (I would probably go a little longer, maybe 3 days) inject some brine in the middle or around any bones. After its bath, dry it uncovered in the fridge overnight, and then slow cook it to about 160.

Search this site for some good brine recipes, I know there's a bunch. Phubar has a great one that comes to mind.

Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Offset - UDS - Weber Kettle - Fire Pit Rotisserie
You're ordering Grilled Cheese?
Yes.

At a BBQ Joint???

Yes. What's the point in ordering BBQ? It's never as good as yours, dad.

Shagdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No he meant 4H...as in 4H club.

You could brine it for added flavor but don't really have to. The skin is always fun to pull off ...if you have a dog save and cook the skin for treats. Cure it if you want ham or just season and smoke it if you want it similar to roast pork.

IMO just season and smoking to 160 is great for slicing...or take it all the way for pulling. You could also pull it out of smoker @160 and cut some for slicing and put the rest back in for pulling, that way you'll have some of both.
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Branded BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I think first, you have to decide if you want the outcome to taste like a 'ham', or the pulled pork. Once that's decided, then the Brethren can help you with the rest, depending on the desired outcome.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys, yeah they want a ham out of it. Putting it in a brine this morning. I may not have full time to really brine it out but going to give it a try.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can also inject the brine along the bone as well as into the middle of the meat mass to help cure it when there is not enough time for a two week soak in the brine..

Here is a reference for next time....

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Smoked%20Ham.pdf

Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Inject around the bone also.

real simple curing brine:

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)
1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda®
1 cup brown sugar or Splenda® brown sugar mix
1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I made this video on my recent fresh ham cook:

http://youtu.be/oIeywyObQ-k

I did NOT cure the ham but I did brine it for four days (22lb ham). If you don't cure the ham, the meat will have a taste and texture that resembles a pork loin instead of a salty hammy flavor. This one tasted fantastic and I won't hesitate to do this technique again. I do intend to procure another fresh ham and cure it though just for the experience of doing so.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I made this video on my recent fresh ham cook:

http://youtu.be/oIeywyObQ-k

I did NOT cure the ham but I did brine it for four days (22lb ham). If you don't cure the ham, the meat will have a taste and texture that resembles a pork loin instead of a salty hammy flavor. This one tasted fantastic and I won't hesitate to do this technique again. I do intend to procure another fresh ham and cure it though just for the experience of doing so.
Hey John, thanks, I used to throw down some fun videos for Bobby a few years ago when I was doing demos for him out this way. Small world. I have had the ham in the brine cure for a bit now, going to smoke it up Christmas eve and see how she goes. I will post updates tomorrow.