喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
Grain Belt
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I brewed a lot for over 10 years. I have slowed down the last two years because of recent micro availability in my area, a family with young boys, and a new passion for bourbon when I have the time to take a sip.

Brewing is a great hobby that has many parallels to BBQ. One can go heavy to the science of it or lean towards technique and art. Both ways can produce good beer or Q. I have also made mead, wine, and have roasted coffee for about 8 years or so. I feel the best Q and best beers are homemade.
Grain Belt is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I brewed a lot for over 10 years. I have slowed down the last two years because of recent micro availability in my area, a family with young boys, and a new passion for bourbon when I have the time to take a sip.

Brewing is a great hobby that has many parallels to BBQ. One can go heavy to the science of it or lean towards technique and art. Both ways can produce good beer or Q. I have also made mead, wine, and have roasted coffee for about 8 years or so. I feel the best Q and best beers are homemade.
It's interesting to see the parallels... I too roast my own beans. And yes, homemade IS the only way to go... Cheers!!!

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i started out brewing extract and switched to all grain. after my second was born, i determined that, for the time being, i could brew more easily if i switched back to extract, so for regular beers, i have been brewing extract again. i'm certain i'll switch back within the next couple years.

my bro in law and i literally threw together a beer about three and a half weeks ago to have something at christmas time. it's a spiced holiday ale that is about 6%.

the candy apple package and the cherries really turned the beer a great color for a holiday beer and the spices were pretty spot on for the season.

we will be popping this open christmas eve.....

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
potaetoSON
Knows what a fatty is.

for a good 2 years, i was brewing 3 times a month. AG, simple cooler MLT with cpvc manifold and turkey fryer.

i have since taken a break. my last brew was late feb 2013. it was cold so i couldn't run a hose to the wort chiller in the garage.

had to move 6 gal of wort in a kettle to the basement laundry room. well, i tripped and dumped the kettle. luckily i wasn't burned and no one was hurt.

and we were doing a 10 gal batch...so we still got 5.5 gals out of it.

but that pissed off and i haven't brewed since.

im getting the itch though. might have to brew a nice session IPA soon.

Founders clone anyone?

Unread 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
landarc

Beer is evil

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
deepsouth

Unread 12-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

There is a section of the forum dedicated to home brewing. You have to join it specifically and you can do this from your User CP and then Group Memberships.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
flykilbosa
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Big brewer here! I love brewing and now I'm diving into Q'in full bore!

Unread 12-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #24
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Yep, Big Belly Brewing here...I get my supplies from Beer-Beer and more Beer...great people..next weekend will be at 1,800 gals since 2002...I am fat from beer not BBQ!

Unread 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

I've been brewing and smoking for about the same amount of time. In fact, I think within a month or two of each other.

I've only gotten about 40 or 50 gallons under my belt (in 2 yrs), but it's fun. I just kicked a keg the other night and am trying to decide what to make. I've been kinda itching to try to make a cider

Unread 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
ColoradoSmoke
Found some matches.

Long time lurker, perfect way to introduce myself... Been brewing for 20+ yrs. Probably have 3k worth of brewing equipment sitting in the garage (AG, 10gal, stand, etc). But with work and small kids, I haven't brewed as much lately. Plus living in CO, I think there are over 35 breweries within a 20 mile radius of me. I've been too busy exploring them all. But my new passion is bbq (and drinking beer).
ColoradoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

Yup, I homebrew too. My Oktoberfest turned out fantastic this year!

Unread 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
cb25
Full Fledged Farker

Nice to see so many others interested.

I've got friends that do, and I've been toying around with the idea of starting to homebrew also. For now, I'm focusing on the Q.

But beer will be a future project for me.

Anyone find a way to put more hours in a day, so I can do all the stuff I want to?
cb25 is offline   Reply With Quote