New guy from Texas

ATXBen

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello from Texas!

I was recently introduced to indirect smoking with my Weber kettle. After a few racks of ribs, turkey breasts, pork butts, and a [failed] brisket, I got hooked on smoking meat!

Wanting to take the plunge and get a "real" smoker lead me to these forums and the discovery of the UDS. Construction* of my very own UDS is underway and I'll eventually create a new thread to upload the details of my build.

Thanks for all the great info!

* Burning out the barrel was a heck of a good time. No complaints from the neighbors, so hooray for that!

Welcome to the Brethren, the best place on the 'Net. You'lll find this is a community, not just a BBQ forum. Enjoy yourself!

Welcome from Wisconsin.

I built a UDS a few years ago and love it. I can actually run it when the temps are below zero, and it will run rock steady all night, while I sleep.

I'll keep my eye out for your finished project!

Welocme to the mayhem!

Welcome aboard ATXBen, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

You're from the heart of Good Texas BBQ Country.. Keep us posted on your UDS build.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome aboard the nut train... I notice you live in Austin, if you would like you are welcome to come and check out the pits at my place and the new one if you like. I'll do my best to answer your questions. I live on the west side of Austin, not too far from town. If you are interested just PM me.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Thanks for all the well wishing! Just finished my UDS and seasoned it last night. Hopefully I'll get around to posting pics of it soon.

Back