The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )
Default A Couple of Offset Mods

Here are a couple of functional mods (actually add-ons) I did to my offset...

Added a drip lip between the channel and firebox (channel pic and firebox pic above). Instead of having to weld it in there, it is a fitted double angle (hangs off the edge of the channel with a piece going up that acts as the lip/dam). It is also removeable for cleaning this way.

Added an expanded metal charcoal grate on top of the log grate. The grate is fine with just splits, but if I put down a charcoal bed the charcoal falls through too quickly.

My MacGyver solution for using my warmer box as a vertical charcoal smoker. Drip pan in the bottom of the channel to act as an ash tray. Expanded metal ring for a riser. Expanded metal grate and another ring to hold the charcoal. The ring on the bottom is a bit taller, so one or the other is used depending on how much charcoal is needed. The grate is the one from on top of the log grate, and the drip pan is from the main chamber. Making it modular (AKA MacGyver style) actually works better for multifunctioning the equipment (can also use the rings in my charcoal box for smaller loads).

Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice mods brother.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
IamMadMan

Nice job...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

The pit fabricator did the welding and such. I'll just take credit for the ideas and the "solution" for the vertical smoker.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Good job Billy,,,,now that is thinking!!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Nice work. Nothing like trying a few things to improve your cooking experience. And if it don't work just tear it out and try something else. To me it is part of the fun & experience!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
peeps

Nice! You gettin' USS Clyde figured out nicely!!!
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote