The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Hgbpro79
Found some matches.
 
Hgbpro79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-13
Location: Louisburg, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Talking To poop, or not to poop?

As I stated in my cattle call intro, which I am sure each one of you read, my trusty reverse flow smoker was stolen recently. Therefore, I am in the market for a new smoker for next comp season. I will be leaving my team to venture on my own and will not have any teammates to lend helping hands. I am hung between to different smokers and would like as much input on these guys as I can get. The two are, and are very different, the REC TEC Pellet Pooper, and the backwoods Chubby. My hope is that I can get more sleep than I did with my old stick burner. I do have a GURU to attach if I get the chubby. I also am hoping that I can cook all 4 categories on one smoker. If not I do have a USD and a WSM for backup, but the goal is to use only one. Please tell me your thoughts and feedback.
Hgbpro79 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Woody1911a1
On the road to being a farker

 
Join Date: 02-10-13
Location: Marblehead , Ma
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yoder 640 w/ comp cart :)
Woody1911a1 is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Is a Chubby going to be big enough for all of your comp meats? A Guru and Chubby combo will give you almost as much sleep as a pellet pooper and more, if the power goes down and you don't/can't use a generator. Just not sure that it is large enough.
__________________
I'm feeling bearish, and I'm packing a Wusthof Grand Brisket slicer from MABA

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

 
cpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-11
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default

You'd have to have your timeline down pretty good to cook a contest on one of those smokers, they're both relatively small. I think either one of them would do the job though. You'd probably want to get a guru or stoker to help with temps on the chubby.
__________________
________________
Superior SS1
Lang 84 Deluxe
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
scm1226
Take a breath!

 
scm1226's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-14-10
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Check out humphreys pits. I ordered mine a few weeks ago.
__________________
SMOKIN' IRISH BBQ
Green Humphrey's Battle Box, 18 1/2 Inch WSM, Retired Green and White UDS, Black Performer, Smokey Joe Gold- WSM Mini, Genesis Gasser, Black Stealth Thermopen
JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Okie Sawbones
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Okie Sawbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Location: Tumwater, WA, but soon to be Edgewood, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

A Fatboy, yes, a Chubby, no.
__________________
48" Jambo Pit Clone, Primo XL, Weber 22" with Smokenator, Vermont Castings SS Grill
DAV, VFW
Okie Sawbones is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Hgbpro79
Found some matches.
 
Hgbpro79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-13
Location: Louisburg, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1911a1 View Post
Yoder 640 w/ comp cart :)
OUch! wish I could...
Hgbpro79 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Hgbpro79
Found some matches.
 
Hgbpro79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-13
Location: Louisburg, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
Check out humphreys pits. I ordered mine a few weeks ago.
I just saw these. Do you have any issue with it not being air tight? The Battle Box looks like the size I am looking. If you upgrade to SS shelves, does that upgrade the basket and diverter as well? I could not find that info on their site. Really looks like a better option than the BW Party due to the number of shelf locations and it comes with a GURU adapter. COOL, thanks for the tip!
Hgbpro79 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Hgbpro79
Found some matches.
 
Hgbpro79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-13
Location: Louisburg, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
You'd have to have your timeline down pretty good to cook a contest on one of those smokers, they're both relatively small. I think either one of them would do the job though. You'd probably want to get a guru or stoker to help with temps on the chubby.
I do own a GURU, but I think you are right on the chubby size. I think the party would be a better size, but now just looked at Humphrey's battle box and leaning that way.
Hgbpro79 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

 
smokinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-07
Location: Coxsackie NY
Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgbpro79 View Post
I do own a GURU, but I think you are right on the chubby size. I think the party would be a better size, but now just looked at Humphrey's battle box and leaning that way.
Hey bud Pm me lets chat about them
__________________
Authorized Humphrey Smoker Dealer
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154925
Authorized Backwoods Dealer
smokinit is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
uncblue
On the road to being a farker

 
uncblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-28-13
Location: Raleigh, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgbpro79 View Post
As I stated in my cattle call intro, which I am sure each one of you read, my trusty reverse flow smoker was stolen recently. Therefore, I am in the market for a new smoker for next comp season. I will be leaving my team to venture on my own and will not have any teammates to lend helping hands. I am hung between to different smokers and would like as much input on these guys as I can get. The two are, and are very different, the REC TEC Pellet Pooper, and the backwoods Chubby. My hope is that I can get more sleep than I did with my old stick burner. I do have a GURU to attach if I get the chubby. I also am hoping that I can cook all 4 categories on one smoker. If not I do have a USD and a WSM for backup, but the goal is to use only one. Please tell me your thoughts and feedback.

Hate to hear about the theft. Are u the one on Ral CL posting the reward? I saw that smoker on CL 1 day & then the post vanished. Hoping the thieves get stupid & slip up

Best of luck on your new purchase
__________________
Vision Classic Kamado, Vision Classic Kamado Kub, UDS, Weber Summit Platinum D6, Weber Performer, & Weber Smokey Joe
uncblue is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Hgbpro79
Found some matches.
 
Hgbpro79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-13
Location: Louisburg, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncblue View Post
Hate to hear about the theft. Are u the one on Ral CL posting the reward? I saw that smoker on CL 1 day & then the post vanished. Hoping the thieves get stupid & slip up

Best of luck on your new purchase
yeah my friend posted that because it got stolen from his business where we were storing it. I'm sure its cut up and scrapped by now.
Hgbpro79 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

aw man, that's el crappo.

those two are pretty small. can it be done? yup. is it ideal? nope.

if i had my druthers i'd go with 2 humphry's half pints.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

 
DownHomeQue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-11-12
Location: Jonesboro. AR
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

No Rabbit turds! lol
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

 
DownHomeQue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-11-12
Location: Jonesboro. AR
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

A couple UDS's and A Stickburner for the win!
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts