Comp Trailer Ideas

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So now after hearing replies about space size, what are the thoughts on enclosed trailer sizes, what I'm getting at is, sounds like 8' foot is a good porch size, what's everyone thoughts on kitchen "prep" area size, and living area? I know some have over the top very nice complete rigs but what would most change if they could redo it agin. What advice can you guys give before I pull the trigger on a comp cooking rig, I really considering a enclosed car trailer and converting it myself, I have the skill set, shop, and tools just looking for good advice and a possible floor plan.

Thanks, woody

I built my 18 car carrier into a Q wagon. About the only thing I would change is maybe go to a 20 footer. That extra space would go a long way in the bathroom and pantry/fridge area. Here's the floorplan:

Visio-VisioTrailerv3-3.jpg

About the only thing from th eplan that hasn't happened yet is the fresh water tank. It didn't fit in that area, so now I"m putting a 16 gallon tank w/pump under the bed.

The open area at the right rear is the space where the Stumps gets strapped into place for traveling. The left rear is where the Cambros are and where the EZ-Up goes for traveling.

Not a very good picture but it gives the idea.

PA170368_zps055c59a3.jpg

Russ

Russ- What are you using for the flaps at the back? Do you like it?

To answer the original question, I just ordered an 8.5x16 trailer, with a 2' v nose. The plan is to cook on the ramp door and have some fold down counters on one side, and a fixed counter on the other. With the plan I've been working on, the cook area will be about 10' of the trailer. No bathroom, lots of storage, and a couple of bunks on the front V.

It's called 'Cargo Add-A-Wall' and it's available at most any RV place. I think I bought mine direct from CareFree in Colorado.

I like it a lot. It allows me several options depending on outside temperature and whether or not I've got enough electric to run the A/C. If I don't, then I just roll up the flaps and leave the screens in place (I absolutely detest flies around when I'm trying to process and box). Like this:

P6100132.jpg

Russ

It's called 'Cargo Add-A-Wall' and it's available at most any RV place. I think I bought mine direct from CareFree in Colorado.

I like it a lot. It allows me several options depending on outside temperature and whether or not I've got enough electric to run the A/C. If I don't, then I just roll up the flaps and leave the screens in place (I absolutely detest flies around when I'm trying to process and box).
Russ

OK, cool. I was looking into that, I'm glad you like it.

How does it work to cook on the ramp door? Other than jacks, do you think it will take bracing also?

How does it work to cook on the ramp door? Other than jacks, do you think it will take bracing also?

On the one we just ordered, the ramp will hold 4500 pounds, so I hope it's strong enough! :thumb:

Haven't had a problem so far. I figure the trailer was designed as a car hauler so if the ramp is strong enough for a car, I'm not gonna do much to strain it.

Russ

Back