The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
scaramoche
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cast iron strorage observations.

Last year about this time two, more or less related, question were posted. One was how to store CI for winter and another about how to get rid of the gunk coating after storage. I tried to find the posts but mobile isn't conducive to finding them. Anyway I am a firm believer in Sheryl Cantor's method of seasoning CI using flaxseed oil. We use the method at work and I do at home. So, this is what happened. After last years posts I had and extra 8" skillet that I seasoned with about 8 coats of flaxseed oil using her method. Not really finding a use for it decided to hang it up) in the storage shed just to see what would happen. It was fresh out of oven after cooling, dry, and without a fresh coat of oil. Since it wasn't stored with other camp equipment I forgot about it until this years turn at storage. After digging through shed to find it. I am amazed to report it is in the same condition as the day I hung it there. Slight surface rust on bottom that whipped cleanly away with a swipe of a finger. As for posting a picture? Well, there is nothing to see. Its a dry, no gunk, ready to use pan. Debated on whether to give it a try but decided to hang it for another winter and see what happens.
scaramoche is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
dport7
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks for the info, 99% of mine is 30 plus years seasoned. I could put it in the basement for years and it wouldn't rust. The other 1%, If it's rusted, I throw it in the fire till it's smokin hot, pull it out, wipe it with crisco or lard, and cook.

I will have to try flaxseed oil.

Unread 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
FatCoyote
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Flaxseed oil seems interesting, what makes it so good? I just do as what was mentioned above, toss it in a fire coat it liberally with some oil and pop it back into the fire or onto the top of my pit for a good long ride.....

Unread 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

I am using the flaxseed method, so far i like it, here is her write up on it.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

Unread 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

say what you want . I have more then 90 skellet in my basement . I can cook with any of them any time . Some go back 100 years . And all i use is unsalted lard
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

I'm confused: "how to store CI for winter". What is this storing for winter? I like to eat (so I use my CI) all year long and just keep it seasoned after each use. I do like the flaxseed oil for restoring abused CI, but once it is in frequent use, I find pretty much any cooking oil/lard will work to keep it seasoned and ready to use.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
c farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
say what you want . I have more then 90 skellet in my basement . I can cook with any of them any time . Some go back 100 years . And all i use is unsalted lard
Where do you find lard nowadays?

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.
c farmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I'm confused: "how to store CI for winter". What is this storing for winter? I like to eat (so I use my CI) all year long and just keep it seasoned after each use. I do like the flaxseed oil for restoring abused CI, but once it is in frequent use, I find pretty much any cooking oil/lard will work to keep it seasoned and ready to use.
This.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weather.jpg (59.3 KB, 146 views)

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
dport7
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I'm with you. pretty much at any given moment, there is a piece of cast getting heated up for the cook.

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
I live close to amish country . They still do it the hard way .
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
Where don't you find lard? Down here, its in most grocery stores. Mi Tienda (a HEB specialty grocery store) has tubs of freshly rendered lard all the time.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Bongoa
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

does bacon fat count?
Bongoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #13
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Flaxseed oil warning: buy food grade, don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff lest you poison you and the family.
Toxic cr@p abounds in non food grade flax seed oil.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Flaxseed oil warning: buy food grade, don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff lest you poison you and the family.
Toxic cr@p abounds in non food grade flax seed oil.
Agreed...pay the extra, go to a specialty food store or a natural food store and pick up a bottle of the organic flaxseed oil.

It'll probably run ya $12-$14 and has a pretty short shelf life but whatever you do don't think you can buy linseed oil and use it for the same purpose...same seed / oil, two completely different production methods.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoa View Post
does bacon fat count?
Works great for me!