oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Default Makin Bacon Question

I decided to try my hand at curing bacon. I got about 5#s of side bacon to cure. I followed a receipe that I found here that called for 1T of Mortons Tenderquick for every pound, as well as a few other spices. I rubbed the tenderquick and spice all over, put it in a large ziplock bag and put in the spare refrigerator for a week. I turned it every day. The directions said it would produce liquid over the week, but this did not. Not certain if I did something wrong. Any thoughts?

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wouldn't worry about it - sometimes it produces liquid, sometimes it doesn't. The slab should feel pretty firm.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I just cured 5lbs myself. I divided it in half and did half with tq and regular sugar and half with tq and brown sugar. Half produced a lot of liquid the other half very little liquid. Did a test fry last night before smoking and both tasted great so I say dont worry about it im sure it will turn out great

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

I thought it was called " Birds n the Bees" Question

Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I wouldn't worry about it - sometimes it produces liquid, sometimes it doesn't. The slab should feel pretty firm.
^ +1 True... Sometimes it produces a little liquid and then reabsorbs it leaving it looking dry. The important thing is you used a proper cure at 1 Tablespoon per pound of meat. Also note that side bacon has a 1 to 1 meat to fat ratio which will produce less liquid than the belly.

Be sure to rinse the extra salt out so it isn't overly salty.