The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
StanDaMan79
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Marathon UDS burn time

I did a brisket on Thanksgiving. Took my barrel down to my daughters place, lit it around 7am. My basket will hold a 20 lb bag of briquets, so I filled it up. Ran the barrel at 300, so I could try the hot and fast method. Once the brisket was done, I shut down the barrel.

This morning, I went down to get my barrel, I had bought 2 briskets, and wanted to cook the other, along with some wings, done up with Oakridge BBQ's Habenero Death Dust.

To my absolute shock, when I was breaking the UDS down to enpty out the ash, from what I thought was a half full basket, I found it was still making heat, and there was probably about a chimney full of partialy burned briquets, still going. I didn't bother to look at the therm, as I expected it to be dead cold. I shook the ash out, placed them back in the barrel, and within a few minutes, it was at 180.

Put the barrel in my truck, drove the eight miles home, unloaded it, and put in the briquets for the cook of todays brisket/wings. started a dozen briquets in the chimney. Danged if the basket didn't get going from what was left. Turns out, one of the 3/4" pipes had a loose lid, held on by just a thread or too, and, as I have my exhaust holes, just under the lid, (for hanging chicken) there was a tiny slit, where I didn't quite get the hole covered.

So, 3 full days, plus 3-4 hours, and there was still heat and still briquets left smoldering.
Amazing.

I killed the brisket on Thanksgiving, turned it into a leathery hunk, as I got called in to work for an hour and a half. Looking back, I should of pulled it off, wrapped it and put it back on after I returned. Didn't think of that until much later. But, as stated, even a bad brisket is pretty good, and I finished off the last of it last night. So, today is my redemption cook. I'll post pictures and a report. Thanks for reading!
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Bigr314
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow,you had a lot going on. I cook on a UDS and just love it. I am still amazed at the efficiency of how they use the fuel. I always fill my basket up before each cook. It seems it is very stable when I do that.

Unread 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

You have an air leak which i would find because your drum should shut down in a very short time....30 minutes maybe. You should be able to use the un burnt for the next cook.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
StanDaMan79
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
You have an air leak which i would find because your drum should shut down in a very short time
Agreed. Loose cap, and a slight gap in my exhaust holes where the magnet SHOULD of covered the hole. But a slight gap, and a tiny leak at the intake, with the basket at full burn at the time of shutdown, after 6 hours of cook time.
Just surprised how it just kept burning so long.

I've cooked in it a dozen times since I built in in late September, alway shout down before. Total operator error, but great experience.
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote