The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
Big George's BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-07-08
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Very nice everyne Now I need to do a ham
__________________
Large BIG Green EGG- Hatched 8/17/09
Backwoods Extented Party
Weber Genesis Gasser
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
JbTech
Knows what a fatty is.

 
JbTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-13
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Perfect timing!

After reading all the Turkey threads the last couple of days, I'll be lucky to include a cured uncooked ham to this years "Neighbor TDay".

Several neighbors usually throw in for a late dinner with a more relaxed, less busy version of Thanksgiving.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with this roughly 15# cured, uncooked mother of meat.


Last edited by JbTech; 11-29-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: WTF am I doing up this late? Oh Bother.
JbTech is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
kriskelso
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 12-02-12
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

fFirst time posting pics, hope these work... Ham was awesome!!! 5 hrs on the UDS
kriskelso is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Kenn007BBQ
On the road to being a farker

 
Kenn007BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-11
Location: Oakland CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

__________________
Smoke on!
Kenn007BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
Tonybel
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 02-29-12
Location: San Berdoo, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

__________________
WSM 18.5 , Weber one touch Gold 22.5, Charbroil Gas Grill, Blue Performer , mini wsm
Tonybel is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #21
Diesel Dave
Babbling Farker


 
Diesel Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-13
Location: Reading MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Oooooo! I'll play!



Tell Redhot her ham looks great and so do the sides.






We all know she cooked it
__________________
HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM


I'm officially a ZERO
IMBAS Certified MOINK baller
WWGALD

There is NO Secret Squirrel Society
Diesel Dave is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
Diesel Dave
Babbling Farker


 
Diesel Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-13
Location: Reading MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

And thanks guys, now I wish I knew how to cook so I could have a ham that looks that great....
__________________
HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM


I'm officially a ZERO
IMBAS Certified MOINK baller
WWGALD

There is NO Secret Squirrel Society
Diesel Dave is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
jshull
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-18-13
Location: Show Me State
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Wasn't a single piece left, I will be doing this again!

jshull is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
DUBBAGA
is one Smokin' Farker

 
DUBBAGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-31-11
Location: Redlands, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskelso View Post
8 glasses for booze to every 1 plate of food... I like how you roll! Looks great
__________________
Green Card Q - Pitmaster (term used loosely)

UDS, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker, Blue Ember Gasser, Weber Performer

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM! (GoFundMe link)

EPIC BIGMISTA KICKSTARTER/GoFundMe THREAD (link)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

 
Redhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-26-10
Location: Memphis, TN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirk View Post
What is that side dish with the peas?? I must have recipe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
It's Redhot's Granny's recipe. I asked (Telling her about your compliment of course ), and she said she'd post it here in gtr's thread.
Hey cirk, I typed up my granny's English pea casserole recipe this morning which is something I've been needing to do. It's kind of funny how this recipe came about so let me share.
When my son was young, he hated veggies but loved creamy, cheesy dishes. Granny had a recipe for sweet pea casserole but didn't have quite the right ingredients so she improvised, and the results were fantastic! This became a staple holiday dish in my family and is Shawn's all time favorite holiday side, even to this day (he's 22 now). I'm sure other people make this but to me, it will always be Granny's English pea casserole!


Granny’s English Pea Casserole

4 15 oz. cans Lesueur’s Very Young Small Sweet Peas, drained
2 10.75 oz. cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 large can French fried onions
1 ˝ soup cans whole milk *see note
1 ˝ - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (other cheeses can be used to change flavor)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix soup, milk, cheese, ˝ can of French fried onions, salt and pepper well in a mixing bowl. Transfer soup mixture to pan you will be cooking in (9x11 or a deep disposable foil pan), add drained peas and fold in gently. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir gently. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. The casserole should be quite thick; you can add more cheese at this time if you want it thicker. Sprinkle top with remaining ˝ can French fried onions and bake until onions are lightly browned.
*I used half whole milk, half buttermilk this time and it was better than ever! I have also used heavy whipping cream in place of the milk which makes for a very rich casserole. You can cut this recipe in half if you don't want left overs.
__________________
Michele >^..^<
22" OTS "Dirty Girl"
Weber Performer/Cajun Bandit "Cajun Queen"
GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73
Avatar by NorthwestBBQ
Redhot is online now   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
deguerre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-15-09
Location: Memphis, TN...Formerly of Decatur, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot View Post
You can cut this recipe in half if you don't want left overs.
Bite your tongue!
__________________
Guerry >^..^< Pit Beeatch for Team Munchkin
Avatar by Northwest BBQ
"If more people would just open their minds, more people would learn things." Wampus
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
cirk
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 12-15-11
Location: Madison, MS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhot View Post
Hey cirk, I typed up my granny's English pea casserole recipe this morning which is something I've been needing to do. It's kind of funny how this recipe came about so let me share.
When my son was young, he hated veggies but loved creamy, cheesy dishes. Granny had a recipe for sweet pea casserole but didn't have quite the right ingredients so she improvised, and the results were fantastic! This became a staple holiday dish in my family and is Shawn's all time favorite holiday side, even to this day (he's 22 now). I'm sure other people make this but to me, it will always be Granny's English pea casserole!


Granny’s English Pea Casserole

4 15 oz. cans Lesueur’s Very Young Small Sweet Peas, drained
2 10.75 oz. cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 large can French fried onions
1 ˝ soup cans whole milk *see note
1 ˝ - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (other cheeses can be used to change flavor)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix soup, milk, cheese, ˝ can of French fried onions, salt and pepper well in a mixing bowl. Transfer soup mixture to pan you will be cooking in (9x11 or a deep disposable foil pan), add drained peas and fold in gently. Bake for about 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir gently. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. The casserole should be quite thick; you can add more cheese at this time if you want it thicker. Sprinkle top with remaining ˝ can French fried onions and bake until onions are lightly browned.
*I used half whole milk, half buttermilk this time and it was better than ever! I have also used heavy whipping cream in place of the milk which makes for a very rich casserole. You can cut this recipe in half if you don't want left overs.
Great story and recipe! Thanks! When grandma's improvise it's usually wonderful...
__________________
Large BGE, MINI-WSM, URR (Ugly Retro Rotisserie)
Weber OTG
cirk is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
bluegrass smoke
Full Fledged Farker

 
bluegrass smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-05-10
Location: Kentucky
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I bought a 8.5 lbs cured,uncooked ham at IKEA last weekend.... How do I cook it?
thanks
__________________
- 22.5" Weber One-Touch Gold
- Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
- Weber Genesis
- Big Easy Turkey Fryer
- Old Country BBQ Smoker
- UDS
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
bluegrass smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
cirk
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 12-15-11
Location: Madison, MS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass smoke View Post
I bought a 8.5 lbs cured,uncooked ham at IKEA last weekend.... How do I cook it?
thanks
Use the search bar at the bottom of the page and search "phrasty ham". He is the ham whisperer!
__________________
Large BGE, MINI-WSM, URR (Ugly Retro Rotisserie)
Weber OTG
cirk is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #30
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

phrasty, what cut is that in the cross-section photo? there's no bone, but looks just like a whole ham.
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts