The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
wagge
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Not happy with my Pit Barrel

Second cook, first was ribs, now chicken

Ribs- Had to open up the intake full after the fire stalled and ended up cooking longer than should have. I think the ribs took on a little of the smoldering charcoal taste. Had the intake about 1/4 as recommended. The end closest to the fire had charred a little as well.

Chicken- Opened intake to half and at 2:20 pulled the chicken and was not quite done to where I like. The skin was a little rubbery and meat did not take on much flavor.

A little nervous about cooking turkey for Thanksgiving in it, so any comments are welcome.

BTW, I set it up after watching the videos per web site.
wagge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

wagge, can you post a pic of you smoker? That would be the best way for someone to answer your question or at least try.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

180 of my PBC experience.

You mention setting the intake. Mine came set. Smoldering coals? Could they be old, moisture soaked by humidity or rain? Using quality briquettes? Are they all hot and cooking before you hang your food. Are you using any smoking wood or chips? Is it fresh and bark removed?

Weird experience. I've never had a failed cook on my PBC. Not even one.

Good luck.

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Lot's of people have had success with theirs so i'm sure your problem can be remedied ....that said it's a UDS just a 30 gallon. I can hang meat from my 30 gallon size or 55 gallon size smokers, have multiple racks, have therms, great wide range of temps and can grill/sear on both. If you're ever tired of it just build yours the way you like it...or build one anyway
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Wagge have had only good results with the Pbc. Bad charcoal will affect cooking and taste. Try using new charcoal filling up the basket removing half into a chimney and lighting it up once Ashed over put into charcoal basket. Put the rebars in and leave the lid off for 10 mins. I also usually close the lid and let it run into sweat blue. I'm using kbb so I don't mind preheating the charcoal basket a little bit to burn off any charcoal taste. Had good result since doing this.

If you don't like the Pbc after some tries let me know I don't mind taking it off your hands. Could use a cooker at work.

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
BobBrisket

Same here, have had nothing but great experiences with my PBC. Gonna cook a 15 lb. turkey in it tomorrow and not even thinking twice about it. The only time I open up the intake is once it has settled in with temp and smoke so that I can cook hotter if I need to. I'm going with the bad batch of charcoal too. Many times, it gets wet, etc depending on how it's stored at the store.
How did you cook the bird? Hanging? Halves etc? I've done a whole packer brisket in the PBC, chicken, etc. Not much of a ribs guy, but it has rocked some beef ribs for me. I've used both lump and briqs and have had no issues. I do make sure to let the coals get going a bit before putting the meat and lid on. But, it pretty much takes care of itself.

Bob
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
ssv3
is One Chatty Farker

Gotta agree with guys above. Nothing but outstanding results with my PBC. I even smoked home cured bacon and ham today (with a diffuser mod).

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Yep, sounds like wet charcoal if you have to adjust the intakes. They come set for your altitude from what I understand.

I'd personally never leave that alone, I'd be messing with the intakes, but I'd also use good dry briqs, and I'd burn minion method, not the mfg suggested method of just lighting off the whole thing.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
SoHappy
Found some matches.

[QUOTE]Ribs- Had to open up the intake full after the fire stalled and ended up cooking longer than should have. /QUOTE] [QUOTE]Had the intake about 1/4 as recommended./QUOTE]

I had a similar experience with my second cook on the PBC with the fire stalling while cooking ribs and chicken. Like you, I had set my vent 1/4 open...at least I thought it was 1/4 open until I saw a PBC vent reference diagram from the PBC Co. and realized I had the vent closed more than 1/4 which probably caused the stall. Have since cooked butt, brisket and 2 pizzas with no problems. Couldn't hurt to contact Amber at the PBC Co. for a copy of the vent opening reference.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Wagge,

Sounds like you may have your answer(s).....

Unread 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Gotta agree with guys above. Nothing but outstanding results with my PBC. I even smoked home cured bacon and ham today (with a diffuser mod).
Ssv3 pics please of the mod.

Unread 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Bed Bath and Beyond sells a really nice large pizza stone $28 or 30$. Double wrap heavy duty aluminum foil for ease of cleanup and place on grate. Excellent Diffuser and you can cook on it.

Just killing a little time until a response from OP :-)

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
JLStout
Got Wood.

Rubbery skin on chicken is caused by cooking at too low a temp. How long did you cook? What temp? I agree with others. Bad charcoal or user error.
JLStout is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

The TRUTH about the Pit Barrel Cooker :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wyws6axZcnQ

Unread 11-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
wagge
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
Rubbery skin on chicken is caused by cooking at too low a temp. How long did you cook? What temp? I agree with others. Bad charcoal or user error.
It was about 2:20, but at 2 hours I could tell the chicken was not where it should be so I opened up vent full. I was able to get some more heat and finish it off but still was not done enough and the tips of the breast were starting to dry out.

I put my cyberq in after the cook just to see where things were and had about 303. I closed the vent down to 1/4 and temps stayed about 300-320 for the next several hours. It burned for about 6.5 hours total.

I guess it could have been charcoal but it was bought at HEB then used pretty quick. I followed the manufacture instructions.

I just hate the risk for -turkey day

Thanks for the reply's as I walk through this moment of grief and sadness
wagge is online now   Reply With Quote