The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Safe to eat or not?????

Well I might have a tragedy on my hands, I cut up an entire pork loin Saturday to make Jerky, cut into maybe 6" strips by 1/4 or a little thicker. Applied High Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic cure, mixed it up and stuck in ziplock bags tightly. Well with the weather an all I did not get a chance to run the smoker. I'm not as worried about the meat being in the refrigerator since Saturday but I'm not sure if the cure being on it that long would have an adverse effect. I'm planning on putting in smoker Saturday early a.m.
What do you guys think? Smoke or Trash?
DavidEHickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

I did a little research, but with out knowing the exact type of cure I have educated guesses. The common thread over at a different set of forums is fry a piece and see if it is too salty. If it is soak it in water to get some of the salt out. But it *should* be safe. I have added the link below.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/9...o-long-to-cure

Unread 01-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

It's fine... cold snowy weather was no excuse though.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

LOL Snowy weather had no bearing on the smoke it was the Cold 15 below zero temp that deterred me! My poor dog has to stay in the garage with a heater on when its that cold and I have to have the garage door open to smoke! But thanks for the reply!
DavidEHickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEHickey View Post
LOL Snowy weather had no bearing on the smoke it was the Cold 15 below zero temp that deterred me! My poor dog has to stay in the garage with a heater on when its that cold and I have to have the garage door open to smoke! But thanks for the reply!
LOL...my dogs were loving it and i was smoking in it everyday....51 below windchill one day. Tough it out next time.

...but yea just rinse your strips off and smoke away, it would have to be in the cure for over a month to toss.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Friedturkeyspam
On the road to being a farker

On the "safe" question, I've had pork chops cut in a well run butcher shop go bad in 4 days in the fridge. Having said that your rub surely had salt in it and salt has been used as a meat preservative for eons. I think you're probably OK, you can always use the highly technical whiff test. Stick your schnoz in the bag and take a whiff.
Friedturkeyspam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
It's fine... cold snowy weather was no excuse though.
I agree on both facts..... (LOL)

High Mountain has a cure in it, as long as it was refrigerated it is fine for smoking at a slightly later date than anticipated.