MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Wicked Smoke BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Commerical vs homemade when competiting.

Please excuse me if this has been answered before. I'm trying to decide which is better, commerical or homemade rubs. Ever since I started we have made our own rubs. The reviews from others have been great, but yesterday I tried a commerical rub and the comments coming back were outstanding. I've only used the rubs we have made when were at competitions, but after our practice yesterday and the comments it has me thinking about commerical rubs.

Thoughts?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I use commercial rubs and start with commercial sauce, I add a few things to the sauce though. I have enough to keep up with and prepare before a contest, I don't need to have to make rubs and sauces, plus I think it's more consistent this way.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Why not try a combination of both to layer the flavors? Commercial rubs are marketed and sold for a reason - they are good. But, if you have good success with what you make at home, you might as well try a combo at home and see what happens. I have good luck with commercial rubs and making my own isn't worth all the hassle for cooking at home. On the other hand, I do use a combination when competing, though, and it seems to work well. Just my two cents!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I use well known, successful commercial rubs and add a bit to them to personalize. A little heat. A little sweet.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

We use our own rub and it probably hurts us more than help but it's all part of the game for us.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Either works. The key with spices is that they be fresh. Whether you buy somebody else's mix or do your own, it's crucial that the time between when the components are ground and when the product is eaten be as short as possible.

For example, if you are making your own rub "fresh" with spices that have been sitting around a supermarket warehouse/shelves for several months, you won't get the same punch out of the spices that a rub that is ground, packed and shipped straight from the packer in short order.

Of course you can always grind your own spices at home if you are willing to go through that effort...
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Why reinvent the wheel? There are bad ass rubs and sauces that you don't have to do anything to them. Smokin Guns Hot, Cimarron Docs, Blues Hog, The Slabs, FAB

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Hey Scottie,

That list looks like your sponsor banner. great ones there.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We make our own for two reasons: so we don't taste like everyone else, and so that we never get caught short because we can't get a particular product.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Go commercial and have consistency every time, Order a few pounds ahead, keep in a cool dark place and you won't run out! As far as sauce, go commercial and personalize if you like, just measure and write it down!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

A lot of folks, particularly those new to competition cooking, cook what they like. Nothing wrong with that, but know that when you cook for judges you're cooking to please the broader general public. If your tastes love salt, that's not good. If your tastes are like mine, you'll have food TOO spicy for the average Joe. One would think I'm making the argument for commercial rubs. There's certainly something to be said for them. However, I never found one that I couldn't do better. Perhaps because when doing my own, cost was no object. As Gavin said, make sure they're fresh.

Try them, as you did, on your friends. Also, try them on your friends when they're not starving to death and when they're stone cold sober. Try multiple recipes at the same time, let them judge them against one another, you'll find what works best for you.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
sharks_guy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
... try them on your friends when they're not starving to death and when they're stone cold sober.

Hmmm... Looks like I need to find new friends.

Mazda 3 Hatchback, Copper Red
[COLOR=lime](2) Green Thermapens[/COLOR]
KCBS CBJ#54284
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/DanDBBQ/[/URL]

[URL]http://operationbbqrelief.org[/URL]
sharks_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

make your own out of a combination of commercially available (hint: Simply Marvelous) rubs.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

I make my own. I have tried commercial rubs and have found some good ones but I still like mine better. That said the judges have no idea what is commercial and what isn't. They judge solely off taste, tenderness and appearance not commercial vs. homemade.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Homemade on my brisket, half commercial / homemade on ribs and commercial on chicken...