The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
HPD190
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fuel needed for Klose smoker

Can anyone offer advice on how much lump charcoal they use to get their pit up to 275 - 300 range before putting the meat on? I used RO lump charcoal and a stick of hickory to start my fire, but had trouble getting the temp up. It was 58 degrees outside so that was probably a factor. I had enough lump charcoal to fill a large Weber chimney starter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

Lay a bed of lit lump or briquettes and throw on a split. If that doesn't get you to temp, throw on another split.

I can usually get my offset up to 275 at startup with 2-3 splits depending on their size.

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
ChickenWang
Full Fledged Farker

Add a couple more splits. Also with it being a little colder outside, just start your fire about 30 min to an hour before adding your meat to the pit.

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

More Wood

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I start with a chimney and once that's going I'll throw on a couple splits. Usually I'll throw one on, let it get going and then the other one. Then repeat all day!

Are your intake and exhaust vents all the way open? That's how I run mine.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

I start my Lang with 3-4 splits (no lump), then throw on another split every 40-45 minutes or so.

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
dport7
is one Smokin' Farker

I mix both in the chimney, lump and briquettes, get it fired thoroughly, dump it in, throw in two fist sized splits. Thats always good for 275/300
Remember, you gotta like to play with fire with a stick burner and keep experiment ing.

Unread 12-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
HPD190
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I start with a chimney and once that's going I'll throw on a couple splits. Usually I'll throw one on, let it get going and then the other one. Then repeat all day!

Are your intake and exhaust vents all the way open? That's how I run mine.
My air intake and exhaust were wide open. It sounds like I need to add more wood and have some patience. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
dport7
is one Smokin' Farker

I also found, that putting the wood closer to the air intake on my little okie joe will bring the temp up, al though it will burn a little faster.

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Lay a bed of lit lump or briquettes and throw on a split. If that doesn't get you to temp, throw on another split.

I can usually get my offset up to 275 at startup with 2-3 splits depending on their size.
Peeps has it right. Also, keep your intake and vents wide open until you want to dial in your temp.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

You might also try lighting up with a Bernzomatic TS8000 (available on amazon and other places) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Once it's started, the wife's hairdryer can really speed things up too (just don't get caught ).

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

when I use to have offset stick burner, burning more smaller size splits did work, also on real cold like zero / windy days I use to put a tray of lump inside with the meat, also built a wind block, more wood should doit....but I switched to insulated cabinets

Unread 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
dport7
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
when I use to have offset stick burner, burning more smaller size splits did work, also on real cold like zero / windy days I use to put a tray of lump inside with the meat, also built a wind block, more wood should doit....but I switched to insulated cabinets
Good idea, I forgot about putting heat in the pit its self. I did that in the dead of those Ill. winters.

Unread 12-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
ShencoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Have you checked the thermo? I bought a klose from a brethren this summer, I got it home and fired it up and had a huge fire raging and the thermo read 200. I switched it out witb the thermo from my jambo and the pit temp was Actually 300+. Needless to say the thermo (original with "klose" on the face) was bad.

I don't use electronic gadgets while cooking for the same reason Ronnie Van Zant didn't wear shoes on stage.
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
HPD190
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Have you checked the thermo? I bought a klose from a brethren this summer, I got it home and fired it up and had a huge fire raging and the thermo read 200. I switched it out witb the thermo from my jambo and the pit temp was Actually 300+. Needless to say the thermo (original with "klose" on the face) was bad.
I haven't done that, but I will do it. Thanks.