עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Serious Hog
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Taxi for Turn-ins?!

Most contests we've done have had turn-in areas that were reasonably centrally located to the cooking areas. However, the last few have featured:

-a walk across a narrow, crowded footbridge, followed by excusing yourself through festival-goers and climbing an uphill slope to the turn-in building

-a walk across a huge gravel lot and down a long sidewalk followed by a trek across a city street with heavy traffic (event staff were having to direct traffic to get competitors safely to the other side)

Would love to hear y'alls favorite turn in stories!

Unread 11-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

My personal favorite........down a hill, thru a 4-way stop intersection, then up another hill, into a firehouse, then up 3 flights of stairs (or the elevator), trying to avoid everyone coming down the stairs at the same time, to the table.

They have since changed it.........for the better.....

Backwoods Competitor & Fatboy, Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Big Ugly's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

My favorite...

1. Contest at the Agricenter in Memphis...It stormed the previous night...buckets. Shin deep in places. Next morning for turnins you could walk about 6 football fields on the concrete...or 1 by going up a grass hill.
Hill was a very bad idea. Bbq slip and slide. Hilarious to watch. The funny part was there was a member of a team sitting at the bottom telling people don't go that way...they didn't listen.

2. Memphis in May 2004 - contest is a mile long, judging in the center. Huge crowds, you have to utilize blockers and a runner. I was blocking for our entry and this big ole boy was dancing on the right of the sidewalk, then as we passed he tripped. It was the most amazing handoff in history.

The runner turned left, using his back to push against the burly ballerinas weight. As he fell he handed off our box to the left side blocker who spun left clearing the area. Clint, our runner, and myself were both crushed under big boy. Box saved.

Unread 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
GT-Q
On the road to being a farker

BBQ Boogie and Blues - Calhoun GA. About half of the competitors are across the train tracks from turn in. Trains were running about every 25 minutes or so. They were moving fast and took about 5 minutes to pass by. We were told at the cooks meeting that we should know there are trains, there isn't a train schedule, deal with it. We were fortunately on the turn in side of the tracks this time, but they did keep us up most of the night.

Unread 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

Typical MN turn in

Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Q View Post
BBQ Boogie and Blues - Calhoun GA. About half of the competitors are across the train tracks from turn in. Trains were running about every 25 minutes or so. They were moving fast and took about 5 minutes to pass by. We were told at the cooks meeting that we should know there are trains, there isn't a train schedule, deal with it. We were fortunately on the turn in side of the tracks this time, but they did keep us up most of the night.
This was my first year doing that event and they made the correction to have everyone on one side of the tracks as I'm sure all the teams righfully spoke up. That would have sucked if a train came through the previous year .

I don't have any super crazy stories. Cleveland GA event in 2012 the walk was between 400-500yds though. Had to definitely add in the walking time.

The one I liked the most was in Kennesaw in 2012 where our site was the closest possible to turn ins as we were 15ft from the door where turns in were. Still almost missed pork turn in too .
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

First year Smoketoberfest. Rain, sleet, snow, & high winds with a 500 yard walk up slippery grass hills and you had to either ford a creek or navigate a muddy path all the while dodging hickory nuts that were raining down like mortar rounds.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Serious Hog
Got Wood.

Y'all are absolutely hilarious, we really got a kick out of all the stories and pictures! Thanks so much for sharing! And we thought we'd had it bad...

Unread 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Two years ago in Cullman, AL, I was waling in a box and some one in a golf cart pulled in right in front of me, blocking my path, and let three other runners get out, then took his time backing out before I was finally allowed to walk my box to the table.

Last year in Cleveland, TN, my walk was okay, but the teams "on the hill" did not have a good time. Straight line distance to turn ins was okay if you didn't mind walking through a gulch. The safer route had you walking down a big hill, past two live-stock pens (with a yummy smell!), around the rodeo ring, back up a hill, and right to turn ins.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, I remember that Calhoun event. Our runner had already gone, but Choo Choo Train BBQ next to us was still building their box as the clock hit the mid point of the turn-in window. Just then we all heard the train whistle.

I watched them flinch like somebody had stepped on their grave!

Kennesaw is another event with a long march to turn-in if you are at the bottom of the hill. Some years they have Gators to run you up the hill. One time our runner was on board and the driver got a little too excited turning around, getting it on two wheels and nearly dumped the thing. The next box our guy walked. ;)
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1

Some spots are so far away at The Royal that you couldn't afford the cab fare.

Jim - KCBS CBJ

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | Packer Green Thermapen | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | Green Bay Packer UDS
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
midwest_kc
Full Fledged Farker

The longest/craziest one we've ever had is the Royal. Not difficult, but if our box wasn't ready when the window opened, you had to hurry to get there in time.

Unread 11-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
hedge
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Typical MN turn in

this can't come soon enough
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
My favorite...

1. Contest at the Agricenter in Memphis...It stormed the previous night...buckets. Shin deep in places. Next morning for turnins you could walk about 6 football fields on the concrete...or 1 by going up a grass hill.
Hill was a very bad idea. Bbq slip and slide. Hilarious to watch. The funny part was there was a member of a team sitting at the bottom telling people don't go that way...they didn't listen.

2. Memphis in May 2004 - contest is a mile long, judging in the center. Huge crowds, you have to utilize blockers and a runner. I was blocking for our entry and this big ole boy was dancing on the right of the sidewalk, then as we passed he tripped. It was the most amazing handoff in history.

The runner turned left, using his back to push against the burly ballerinas weight. As he fell he handed off our box to the left side blocker who spun left clearing the area. Clint, our runner, and myself were both crushed under big boy. Box saved.
Give it up for Barry Sanders.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
Serious Hog
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Give it up for Barry Sanders.
Our poor Titans could have used Barry Sanders, (or maybe even Too Sauced's O line) in the 2nd half the other night.