The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Could it be your thermo is reading directly over your food?

Move your thermo to just below your cooking rack for more accurate reads. I agree with the elbows and risers, they hurt the performance of a drum.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have used briquettes in my drum 1 time a 5lb bag of matchlight to start my burn out pre build. I burn nothing but Lump in it Never has given me a problem I can go 14 hrs at 300+ or over 20 hrs at 250. The key is to let it sit & burn awhile before you close it up

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Elbows and riser sound like the problem to me, if you want to run risers you will need to increase the size. JMHO
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

First off, lump should require less airflow than briqs. Second, lump doesn't soak up moisture like briqs. I've never had any issues using lump in my uds or any cooker. the only change in performance is more btu's when you need them. I like cooking at higher temps, so lump fits my needs perfectly.

I agree with Bludawg about the intakes, and restricted airflow. If I were going to do a fat man mod, I'd use 2" pipe and use a fridge magnet or sheet metal slide to control air flow. Not a fan of ball valves at all.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
retired trucker
is one Smokin' Farker

I would check to see how close to the birds your pit temp gauge is. If they are close to the meat, you will get wrong readings. Move the probe at least 2-3 inches away from the nearest bird. Also get rid of the 90* elbows and use only one valve with the other 3 just short nipples with a cap on them for easy removal.

Blessings,
Omar

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
ironbrew
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Was having a similar problem. I didn't have my vents open enough. New to Q though, so was a learning experience.
ironbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

One thing that wasn't mentioned yet... Pits (at least UDS types) need more air to get hot when cooking whole chickens then any other meat. IMO it has something to do with the moisture the chickens put out that contributes to evaporative cooling of the pit.

I could do a high heat butt (325-350) and will need half of the air that i'd need for a chicken cooking at the same temps
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Your Proble is HERE!!!
Every 90 deg turn you pur in a line restricts its flow by 50%. in the simplest terms 4X.75= 3/2= 1.5 1.5/4=.375 so your 3/4" intakes are now 3/8" Solution:> Get rid of those Elbows on 3 of your intakes and use 1 valve. Then do this:
Take that farkn diffuser out start with at least 1/2 chimney of hot stuff and leave the lid off at start up until the thermo hits 200 then put the lid on and let it settle in then put on the meat.
This is essentially the problem. I put risers on all 4 intakes of my big drum (1 with a pipe valve, fat man mod) and couldn't get the drum up to temps high enough to crisp up chicken. I initially had just 1 intake on a riser, the other 3 were at the bottom of the drum, but I thought I would be clever and add risers to all of the intakes. Bad move - once the other risers were added, I couldn't hit high temps anymore. The pipe valves are actually much narrower than you think - turn the valve open and look inside. My solution was to add one more big intake (1.25") at the bottom with just a nipple and cap on it, no bends or valve on it. It was easier than taking apart the other intakes and messing with them.

I call it the chicken hole - whenever I need higher temps (chicken, hot n fast cooks) I open that one up too and the UDS can chug along.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote