The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Any CASI Chili Heads Here?

I am delving into the world of competition chili ala CASI rules. Any body here cook comp chili? If so, do y'all know of any forums for chili similar to this one?
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
didisea
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

http://chili.org/ is their official site. I don't know that I've seen a chat board - our pod sort of uses the PNWBA bbq site because they usually have a bunch of the chili competitions in conjunction with the bbq contests.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
midwest_kc
On the road to being a farker

I was actually just thinking the other day about entering some chili cookoffs, but I know nothing about them. Too bad there isn't a forum.

Unread 11-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
ShencoSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I am delving into the world of competition chili ala CASI rules. Any body here cook comp chili? If so, do y'all know of any forums for chili similar to this one?
Hi lee-you going to smoke a few hot and fast briskets for your chili? We finished 2nd out of 50 at a comp a few years ago with our "brisket bomber" chili. That comp didnt have strict rules about when you could start cooking so we got our brisket on early. From what I read about most comps, they only allow a few hours for prep.

I don't use electronic gadgets while cooking for the same reason Ronnie Van Zant didn't wear shoes on stage.
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Darby Dan
Found some matches.

Chili contest are very cheap to do
Darby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
Hi lee-you going to smoke a few hot and fast briskets for your chili? We finished 2nd out of 50 at a comp a few years ago with our "brisket bomber" chili. That comp didnt have strict rules about when you could start cooking so we got our brisket on early. From what I read about most comps, they only allow a few hours for prep.
We use brisket for our home chili but that recipe will never fly in CASI-land. We are going to stick with chili grind chuck for now.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

KCBS CBJ
MABA Member

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Small cubes of tri-tip or chuck steak works nicely too.

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

A few years ago myself and a dozen other Northwest BBQ cooks took a CASI Chili class instructed by longtime Puget Pod leader and Great Pepper Ken Peach and his wife Ruth.

http://pugetpodcasi.us/

Some events here have Homestyle, Green & Red or "anything goes" but I'm pretty sure those entries don't count towards WC events. We are thinking of entering some next season-

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I CASI'd out for a good number of years; 2 trips to Terlingua. We had a lot of fun. I may get back in it, but there is $0 in it. No real good forums. Also, the recipes that you'll find for winners are NOT their actual recipes. Most BBQ will really help you and many will give you their recipes. Not so much in chili... I dont know why. Meat only chili was tough for me to get good, it took a few seasons. Towards the end I have a lot of 1st and 2nd places. The hardest thing to do was get the sodium balanced (amazing how much sodium vegetables absorb) and the spices to mix right without those veggies...

Unread 11-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

CASI tends to be mostly chili grind and the ICS is almost always cubed beef. And usually, both use all powders for the spices, in what are called "dumps". The dumps would include a blend of chile (pure) powders, chili powder (blend), onion, garlic, and cumin. The ICS contests will also have a salsa and a chili verde competition as well. Both are fine organizations that raise tons of cash for charity.
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
www.redlionspicyfoods.com

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Black Cat BBQ is a local MABA team that are heavily involved in CASI. Jack & Jen are great people and would be a good local source of info for you.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Headed View Post
Black Cat BBQ is a local MABA team that are heavily involved in CASI. Jack & Jen are great people and would be a good local source of info for you.
Thanks Ron. I have already hooked up with Jack and Jen as they are the ones getting some MABA folks more involved in chili comps.

KCBS CBJ
MABA Member