The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

 
bignburlyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-03
Location: Great Bend, Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Kansas Winter Q Feb. 7 & 8, 2014

The Kansas Winter Q will be held February 7 & 8, 2014. The Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship will be held during the contest, so we are hoping for a large turnout of top teams. A list of the qualifiers is attached below . Entry fee for the Kansas Winter Q will be $175, you can pay when you sign in on Friday of the contest. Minimum prize pool will be $6125 which includes appetizer category. If enough teams enter the prize will be increased. A local tire sponsor has donated a set of light truck tires, ($750 value) to be awarded to the rib category winner, and another set of tires to be given in a drawing of the cook teams (excludes rib winner).

About 25 indoor heated 10x10 spaces are available for teams without a camper for prep and hanging out, some also set up cots. Cookers are outside.

Last event there were 59 teams, we hope for more this year. We have an appetizer contest Friday evening, entry is free and you can enter as many times as you want and can even have them prepared before arrival, make enough to turn in and have extras to share with the other teams during the cook meeting. We also have a trash can chili supper, all the teams bring a quart of chili that we mix together and serve after the cooks meeting. A breakfast will be served Saturday morning, scrambled eggs and a meat will be provided. Teams are asked to bring a breakfast item to share.

The website (kansaswinterq.com then click on the Winter Q link) has the entry form and payout info there. If you are interested in entering fill out and send in the entry form now, just so we have your current info, you can pay when you arrive. Hope to see you in February.

David Keyse
BBQ Committee
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013 Chest to Chest 2.pdf (46.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf 2014 Chest to Chest 2.pdf (39.9 KB, 92 views)
__________________
David
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
joshcary
On the road to being a farker

 
joshcary's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-13
Location: Wichita, KS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I can't wait! This will be our first comp of 2014... Time to get back to testing new recipes all winter long. It's hard work, but someone has to do it! :)
__________________
eCommerce, Marketing and Media Director for All Things Barbecue
Yoder Smokers YS640 (on Silver Comp Cart)
Yoder Smokers Loaded Wichita (Serial Number 1)
Weber Kettle 22.5" Silver (w/ Smokenator, KettlePizza, Smoke•EZ, and more)
Ninja Turtle Green Thermapen
NY Giants Blue Backlit Thermapen
joshcary is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

 
bignburlyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-03
Location: Great Bend, Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Josh, it will be great to have you. If you happen to bring a 1500 along you won't miss it if it dissapears will you?
__________________
David
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Mrmeatcutter
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
 
Join Date: 08-04-13
Location: Dodge City Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Look forward to it.
Pinkie's BBQ
Dodge City Ks
Mrmeatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Capn Kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-08-09
Location: Littleton, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
The Kansas Winter Q will be held February 7 & 8, 2014. The Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship will be held during the contest, so we are hoping for a large turnout of top teams. A list of the qualifiers is attached below . Entry fee for the Kansas Winter Q will be $175, you can pay when you sign in on Friday of the contest. Minimum prize pool will be $6125 which includes appetizer category. If enough teams enter the prize will be increased. A local tire sponsor has donated a set of light truck tires, ($750 value) to be awarded to the rib category winner, and another set of tires to be given in a drawing of the cook teams (excludes rib winner).

About 25 indoor heated 10x10 spaces are available for teams without a camper for prep and hanging out, some also set up cots. Cookers are outside.

Last event there were 59 teams, we hope for more this year. We have an appetizer contest Friday evening, entry is free and you can enter as many times as you want and can even have them prepared before arrival, make enough to turn in and have extras to share with the other teams during the cook meeting. We also have a trash can chili supper, all the teams bring a quart of chili that we mix together and serve after the cooks meeting. A breakfast will be served Saturday morning, scrambled eggs and a meat will be provided. Teams are asked to bring a breakfast item to share.

The website (kansaswinterq.com then click on the Winter Q link) has the entry form and payout info there. If you are interested in entering fill out and send in the entry form now, just so we have your current info, you can pay when you arrive. Hope to see you in February.

David Keyse
BBQ Committee
David, just a correction to your records... Swinestone Cowboys were 1st place in Brisket at the North Platte Honky Tonk competition on 5/4/2013... not Parrothead. Parrothead won it in 2012. So hopefully we have an invite! ;)
__________________
Kevin
Swinestone Cowboys BBQ Team
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

 
djqualls's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-08-10
Location: Tecumseh, OK
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Going to be Funky!
__________________
The American Dream BBQ Team

Jambo J5 "The Dream Maker"
R&O Trailer Pit
Gateway "Insane" Can
3x FEC100's
Cookshack Charbroiler
Lagre Big Green Egg
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

 
bignburlyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-03
Location: Great Bend, Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kev View Post
David, just a correction to your records... Swinestone Cowboys were 1st place in Brisket at the North Platte Honky Tonk competition on 5/4/2013... not Parrothead. Parrothead won it in 2012. So hopefully we have an invite! ;)
Sorry about that, I now have it changed on our records. Thank you and hope to see you there Capn Kev!
__________________
David
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
ibrisky
Knows what a fatty is.

 
ibrisky's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-10
Location: Bryant, Arkansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I like the indoor space for us tent dwellers! Might have to put this one on the list....
__________________
Fire Dancer BBQ
http://firedancerbbq.com

Don't Burn The Day Away.....
ibrisky is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Twissi
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
 
Join Date: 11-15-13
Location: Broomfield, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I'm very interested in this contest, however, when I go to kansaswinterq.com, the information listed is for 2012. Any updated info (other than what is posted at the top of this thread)?
Twissi is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

 
bignburlyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-03
Location: Great Bend, Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twissi View Post
I'm very interested in this contest, however, when I go to kansaswinterq.com, the information listed is for 2012. Any updated info (other than what is posted at the top of this thread)?

Kent is sometimes slow getting the website updated, but all the info for 2012 is the same for 2014. The entry form on the website is not date specific so if you just fill it out and send it in so we have your info that is all we need until you get here.

Any other questions I will try my best to answer.

David Keyse
__________________
David
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

 
bignburlyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-03
Location: Great Bend, Kansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Just had a discussion with Kent, the organizer. He has added the 2012 and 2013 winner of the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour brisket category for invitation to the Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship. So congrats to the 2012 winner, There's No Place Like Smoke, and 2013 winner Chatham Artillery BBQ.

Kent said There's No Place Like Smoke plans to compete, so we will welcome them to Central Kansas in February.
__________________
David
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts