The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
dinosdeuce
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Still haven't made up my mind

First post, great site and have a dilemma. I have used a small electric smoker for the past few years. I quit working and I got the bug to make a "real smoker". I acquired the the following and at first decided to make a vertical smoker with the following specs:
24" diameter x 66" long 1/4" wall pipe. The one end was cut pretty crooked. I cleaned it up. 2 doors. One for access to the fire grate and one for the smoke trays. The fire grate will be 22" below the first tray. There will be rack from 1/2" rebar 18" above that to hold a water pan that will also act as a heat diffuser. The tray holders will be spaced at 4" increments to the top. Weber 22 1/2" grill grates will be used for the food. The the fire grate will be made from 1/2" rebar. The only thing I haven't decided on yet is where to place the exhaust pipe. I was thinking 12" down from the top. That way the heat and smoke won't go straight up and out the top. This son of a gun will be heavy, but it will be put on casters.
This idea was posted on another forum ( found this one a little later) and was warned that this was not a good idea, to make an offset instead due to inherent temperature gradient problem with a vertical this size.. So now I am more than likely going with an offset.
I have read a lot here the last 2 weekends and have not found a lot of info on verticals. I was going vertical to save on space.
I thought I would get a second opinion here and hope to hear from someone who may have done what I was originally planing.

So any advice on why I should totally scrap the vertical plan for a horizontal would be greatly appreciated.

Also I hope to be able to participate on here later after I get more experience on the art of smoking. There are some awesome looking food posted here!

Thanks
Dino
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoker plan.jpg (36.6 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg Smoker start.jpg (54.3 KB, 711 views)
File Type: jpg Smoker descale.jpg (29.8 KB, 710 views)

Last edited by dinosdeuce; 09-28-2013 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: added pictures
dinosdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Turn it in to 2 super UDS's if you want to go verticle

Unread 09-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

I'd go vertical but cut it down to 42" to 48" and put a 3" pipe dead center in top for exhaust - probally 10" tall. 2 Doors with 3-4 removable cooking racks plus a difusser rack. Have a fire grate or basket about 4-6" off the bottom and difusser/water pan 12-18" above that. Like a Tall, thick walled UDS with doors And I would definatley post pics of the Build and first Cook!

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-28-2013 at 11:46 PM..
SmittyJonz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
sliding_billy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The one reason I can think to go horizontal with pipe that large is the ability to throw a pig in there.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Here is a vertical build my son & I did not long ago.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=162551
Your pipe is much heavier so I don't expect you will have the issues we had. IMO the heavy baffle plate is essential. It cooks great on charcoal or small splits and the footprint is only 26"d.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Rambo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

what did you decide
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
PappaOscar
On the road to being a farker

Answer: D. All the above.

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
dinosdeuce
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I'd go vertical but cut it down to 42" to 48" and put a 3" pipe dead center in top for exhaust - probally 10" tall. 2 Doors with 3-4 removable cooking racks plus a difusser rack. Have a fire grate or basket about 4-6" off the bottom and difusser/water pan 12-18" above that. Like a Tall, thick walled UDS with doors And I would definatley post pics of the Build and first Cook!
SmittyJonz,
Thanks for the input and links to pictures. I very much appreciate your input. The other place had me second guessing everything. I will post pictures along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Here is a vertical build my son & I did not long ago.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=162551
Your pipe is much heavier so I don't expect you will have the issues we had. IMO the heavy baffle plate is essential. It cooks great on charcoal or small splits and the footprint is only 26"d.
You have me all fired up to get going on this build.

I will cut the length to 48" per SmittyJonz's input to this project and try to get the doors cut out today, don't know for sure because my cheap plasma took a dump on me cleaning up the one end. So for now a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel installed will be my tool of choice. Although not a good one for 1/4" wall.

Thanks all for the advice!

Dino

Unread 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
dinosdeuce
Got Wood.

Got some things done today. Cut to a length of 48". Laid out the upper and lower doors and got the long ends cut through on both sides of both doors.

Just need to weld on the hinges. I am guessing you just line up the pin with the middle of the cut, correct??
Used up seven 4 1/2" cutting wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door layout.jpg (71.5 KB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg two cuts long side.jpg (32.6 KB, 601 views)

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Alright! You ain't messing around! I like it! make sure to update us as you go and or ask questions......some of the smart Fellars may be able to help ya out.

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
jeffturnerjr
is one Smokin' Farker

As always,

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

Can't wait to see the progress on this!

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #14
dinosdeuce
Got Wood.

Forgot to give out some intel. I was at target last Thursday and scored on these. The funny thing is I was going to buy 2 this payday and 2 more the next pay day at lowes for 18.99 each. At Target, 5.98 so I bought all five. 22 1/2" racks. Some times you smell like the rose and some times you smell like........ For once I was the rose!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grill grate.jpg (40.0 KB, 554 views)

Unread 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
This sounds like a pretty good plan but don't think there's any need for a water pan although you could have a rack above the fire to put a ( holy) diffuser on for the times you want to use one.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is online now   Reply With Quote