The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Atombomb182
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Help with chicken

I'm stumped and a little worried. I've been nominated by the fam to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving this year. It'll be my first turkey on the new UDS. To get a little practice under my belt I decided to smoke a couple of chickens using some of the suggestions in the sticky turkey post (brined and trussed).

So, the chickens cooked at 325-350 until the internal temp of the thigh was 170. I want to say it took roughly 90 minutes. When I pulled them off, they looked great. After resting for 20 minutes and carving them up, they didn't seem cooked all the way. The ligaments on the leg were super tough, couldn't bite through it. The breast meat was pretty mushy, etc. I ended up putting them in the oven for a while longer.

So my concern is this: I've read that once it reaches the desired temp, it's done. That didn't seem to be the case here. Should I have tested it in multiple spots with the therma pen once the thigh got to 170? Is it possible that I had the food probe in a location that ended up being a hotspot in the meat which got to temp faster than the rest of the bird? Or did my chickens have some sort of super chicken heat tolerant ability? If it's the latter thank god they're dead.
Atombomb182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

I just put my therm in the thickest part of the breast and go t 165 IT. Sure take your therma pen and make sure you're up to 170 in the thighs and it's done in the breasts.

It sounds like your bird wasn't done, when it's done the legs will basically fall off...many times mine falls off while pulling the bird. IMO you needed more time cooking.
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Poultry undercooked can be dangerous, way overcooked will be dry(desert dry).

I like my dark meat of the chicken well done(ligaments pull apart). I have better results with spatchcock on the UDS.

Its also possible you got one tough bird.

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
StanDaMan79
Knows what a fatty is.

I make sure my turkeys get some time out of the fridge.

I run my UDS with all air intakes wide open.

I set my bird on a grate, in a pan. I tent the bird once it gets to the color I want. I have the usual herbs and veggies in the bottom of the pan, along with chicken broth of your choice of liquids. The gravy made from the drippings of the barrel bird make excellent gravy. Also, the first year I did a turkey, my wife also did one in the oven, so we had backup in case the barrel bird cook went awry.

Still do it that way, hard to beat the smell of a bird roasting in the oven, and we've never had too much turkey.

Last edited by StanDaMan79; 11-04-2013 at 09:13 AM..
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
aawa
is Blowin Smoke!

I dont really go by temps in the thighs. i test the temp at the thickest part of the breast and look for 165 degrees. I will then do a quick temp of the thigh and if it goes past 165 I call it good. Typically the thigh will climb around 175-180ish when the breast hits 165 IT.