Wild weather -- no Q today -- baked potato soup

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Reaction score
Winds were blowing 25-45 mph today with rain coming in at the horizontal in sheets. As sweet as I am, I would have melted away. :rolleyes: So I decided to make a comfort food and kick back and watch college football.

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients:
6 medium to large baking potatoes
1 lb. pork sausage
1 cup sweet yellow onions – chopped

4 stalks celery – sliced thin
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
2 cups half and half
1/4 cup fresh parsley – chopped
5 cloves garlic – pressed
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon red hot sauce
1 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup green onions, sliced

Preparation:
Rinse potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Let cool.

Peel potatoes, and slice into bite sized pieces. Cook the sausage in a large skillet until all pink is gone, reserving drippings in the skillet. Set aside. Cook onion and celery in drippings until tender. Add flour and stir well, cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Gradually add chicken broth over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is well thickened. Add all of the herbs, spices, and sausage. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the half and half and potatoes and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes (do not bring to a boil).

Stir in the cheese and green onions. Cook until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Enjoy with southern cornbread!

I forgot where I got the original recipe, but I have modified to our taste preferences and cooking times, so I claim it as my own. You can also use bacon in place of the sausage, but the wife prefers the sausage.

Back