MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
on the hook
On the road to being a farker

Default Beef Ribs???

OK, picked these up today for Sat pm.. I've smoked some that were smaller, with less fat layers before but these seem to have a lot of fat???...Should I just go with trimming a little, SP, hickory/cherry??? at 250 for 5 or 6hrs??(int 190?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (48.4 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (49.7 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (59.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (64.7 KB, 217 views)
on the hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice - I would trim the fat down on the top part a bit and place it on the parts that are not fatty, making sure to season first and then drop a little more seasoning on the fat. Stick in the stick burner for about 3 hrs with a pan of water, then remove fat place on open beef and wrap for an hour - two (when tender your done) then place back on the open smoker with a bit more salt and pepper at 300 for 30-40 min and you should be good to go. Nice crust, nice and tender. I think you just made me head for the butcher.....damit my wife aint gonna be happy with the distraction from honey do's.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Bob Loblaw
Got Wood.

I smoked beef ribs yesterday. Whole foods never lets me down for ribs. Great marbling and good meat on top of the bone
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Those look great! I've never seen ribs with that much meat on them. Your plans sound like what I would do as well with the possible exception that I might be inclined to add some mesquite as well. Let us know how they come out.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Beef ribs never take me near that long...just check it with a tooth pick every once of a while for probe tender. Don't bother probing temp of the ribs. Good luck on the cook, they look (beefy)

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I don't know it is too late, but I would trim the fat off of the top only to give more contact area for the rub and to get a nice bark in that area.

The last chuck short ribs that I did took just over 5 hours at 250, no foil. Cook them until they are tender when you probe them.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
on the hook

OK, toooo much fat...This was my concern...No after pics, but after about 5 hrs, I put them in the oven to finish...They were taking toooo long at 200-250....Had a junk Brinkman(friends house) that I could not get consistent at all...they had great flavor, but way too fatty...You can see that last pic that the fat layer is thick and between meat layers...I purchased these from a butcher that i think really did not know what I really wanted...These were 3 to 3&1/2 inches thick....Oh well...

Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
on the hook

By the pics here(above), do you gurus think that cut of ribs is farther "up" the rib, compared to this cut?? The ribs were 2' wide...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg br3.jpg (41.6 KB, 60 views)