MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default IQ 110 ---Party Guru

Hi All I'm between buying either one of these for my Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit. Would like to hear from those that already have used either one.Which would be an easy install etc.
Thanks Dan
PS I was sold on the IQ 110 till I saw the Party Guru.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dan i have both of those. Tell me what what is most important in a temp controller and i'll help you decide. Both are equally easy to install and both have adapters for a wide array of smokers.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

personally, i'd go with the iq110, not a fan of battery operation, but if that's a selling point for you, your decision is a little tougher

Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Dan i have both of those. Tell me what what is most important in a temp controller and i'll help you decide. Both are equally easy to install and both have adapters for a wide array of smokers.
Definitely talk to FWISMOKER. I was looking for a cheap temperature controller. He messaged me and I told him what I was looking for and he steered me in the right direction.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default temp controler

Hi Fwismoker
Reliable ,ease of installing and programing.
Customer service, in case I do have a problem.
I don't have many tools/drill bits, I am not the most handy man around.
Just looking for something when I get around to a overnight smoke.
Thanks Dan
PS AAWA I see you went with IQ 110

Last edited by DanB; 10-15-2013 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: added PS
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi Fwismoker
Reliable ,ease of installing and programing.No programming on either but the IQ has better technology such as can recognize when the lid opens so the fan shuts off....the PQ doesn't do that.
Customer service, in case I do have a problem.My experience has been good with both. The IQ has worked flawlessly but I had questions for John from IQ prior to purchasing and he was prompt getting back with me and assisting me with an adapter i needed....sent me one for free that i needed
I don't have many tools/drill bits, I am not the most handy man around.No tools necessary with either, the standard IQ adapter will work with your grill
Just looking for something when I get around to a overnight smoke.For over night smokes i went with the IQ because it plugs into electrical and i didn't have to worry about running out of power. I also made a rainbox John suggested and don't have to worry about weather of any kind.
Thanks Dan
PS AAWA I see you went with IQ 110
Hope that helps.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Vents/door

Hi Here is a pic of what my vents/door looks like.
From what I've read for the IQ I would only need the bowl adapter and tighten it with the wing nut.With Party Q I would have to drill a 1" hole for the adapter..Is that right?
Thanks Dan.
PS I'm thinking I could remove the door and replace it a solid piece of sheet metal, if i need too.

Last edited by DanB; 05-11-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

dan, not to sound like a debbie downer. But most offsets are pretty leaky, and a controller might help, It might not work as stellar as you think it will. are you going to run a box for your charcoal? a maze? I don't know if people have had much success running these temp controllers on a brink smoke and pit

Old 10-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default charcoal box

Hi I made a charcoal basket, out of expanded metal.I have been placing a can in the center of the basket and full around with unlit Kingsford & RO Lump, then add the lit charcoal in the middle. I also thinking of using more wood in firebox for heat.
I also used stick on gasket material, to seal the air leaks around the pit,as best I could. I hear you about about the leaks.I also used High Temp silicone in some areas. Should be sealed quite well, although when the fire is first started, I do see some leaks,but when things settle down they are gone.

Thanks Dan
PS I tried to delete the blury pic,but didn't know how.

Last edited by DanB; 04-14-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
dan, not to sound like a debbie downer. But most offsets are pretty leaky, and a controller might help, It might not work as stellar as you think it will. are you going to run a box for your charcoal? a maze? I don't know if people have had much success running these temp controllers on a brink smoke and pit
I had the Brinkman Professional Smokin Pit (far from what it's labeled as) and there was no way either would have helped even after the big leaks were sealed. In the end, I converted it to charcoal only. It would hold the temperature better, but would also run away from time to time.

I had bought my Brinkman in 1992, so maybe some changes were made for the better... I used it for a year and went to a couple WSM's but kept the Brinkman as a spare when I needed extra cooking space.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
IME, i agree with this. I originally got my IQ110 to help control my Charbroil COS smoker and I found that I could not get it to work to my satisfaction on it. I now use the IQ110 on my kamado ceramic and it works like a charm on long cooks.
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All Well I'm stuck with Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit.I did have a vertical electric before the S n P. I like the S n P much better. Love the smell of the charcoal
I'm just trying to keep temps up for an overnight smoke, one of these nights.
Thanks for your inputs.
Dan

Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

IIRC the lid on the brinkmann smoke n pit is larger than the bottom, so there's a pretty hefty air gap along the whole cooker. The temp controllers are really geared toward a thoroughly sealed pit, where the electronics can somehow sense some resistance and provide the needed ventilation. On my egg, I barely even open the top vent, just enough, maybe a 1/8 inch. and ceramics are about as tight of a cooker you'll get. Hope that makes sense.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Auber

Hi All another controller has has entered the contest.
Let me know what you guys think about IT.
Thanks Dan
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=205

Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have one, its works fine, support has been very good. it also does not use special temp probes, it uses commonly available thermocouples that are inexpensive and come in many configurations.

However, like others have stated. I still think you will be disappointed with any ATC with your pit.

Here is a pic of mine in action

the bottom shows how I have mounted now, with a different thermocpuole I mounted to the side of the smoker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0566.jpg (48.5 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0730.jpg (55.4 KB, 207 views)
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote