Look familiar??

Serious Hog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
On the left is our jam packed van, this is how we operated for our first 6-7 cooks. We finally HAD to break down and buy a trailer (see right) to haul behind the van. Fits everything we need nicely and packing/unpacking for comps is SO much easier. Still working on my backing up abilities though, so for now beware if you see me backing towards you!!

Attachments

• Van.jpg
    Van.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 545
  • Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 548
Remember, just turn the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go!:-D

It makes a huge difference. We used to have our van crammed full as well.

Nice. I have a 5x8 that fits everything. I usually get the trailer close and then me and my son hulk it into place. Videos of me backing up my driveway will be on utube some day.

Get a trailer dolly. Then you can move it where you want it with ease.
Also add some leveling jacks, check ebay. 5,000 or 7,500 pound rating, 24" travel.

short trailers are inherently hard to backup! the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel trick works, but the shorter it is, the quicker it changes directions! good luck!

Boy I sure hope that is true. I have a 16ft single axle camper that i cannot back up at all. Getting a 27ft bbq trailer tomorrow, so I really hope it is easier.

Congrats. I am a disaster backing up the trailer too.
I'm entertaining to watch sometimes. You get the hang of it though. I've managed a 20 point turn in a cul-de-sac before. It wasn't pretty but I made it.

Yes bottom of the steering wheel is how I always teach people who are new with a trailer so it definetly works, and practice makes perfect. Another trick, don't get flustered and let everyone around you get your wound up. Sometimes there are just too many people "helping".

Thanks so much y'all for all the great advice! I'll have all fall/winter long to practice backing, haha. Yesterday was our last comp of the season and was able to coax the organizer into giving us a spot where we never had to go in reverse. We were proud to take 4th in Ribs, considering we were up against some very tough competition.

Boy I sure hope that is true. I have a 16ft single axle camper that i cannot back up at all. Getting a 27ft bbq trailer tomorrow, so I really hope it is easier.

Yes the longer trailer is slower to respond to turning.
A good spotter is a valuable asset.(and ONLY ONE spotter!!!!!)
Make sure if you have a spotter, they know that if they can not see the mirror on the truck, you can not see them.

Happy trailering.:-D

When I was in high school we got a boat, and my friends and I went to the lake every weekend. I couldn't back worth a damm, so my dad put a clamp on hitch on the front bumper. I would drop the trailer, turn the station wagon around and hitch on the front, then just drive it down the boat ramp. It was MUCH easier, lol.

When I was in high school we got a boat, and my friends and I went to the lake every weekend. I couldn't back worth a damm, so my dad put a clamp on hitch on the front bumper. I would drop the trailer, turn the station wagon around and hitch on the front, then just drive it down the boat ramp. It was MUCH easier, lol.

Hilarious David! If there were a hitch on the front of our van, I guarantee I'd give your method a go!

Back