The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
squeel
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brinkman electric smoker blanket.

As hard as this might be to believe I could not get my Brinkman above 198 on a fall day in Florida. The smoker was in the shade and there was (always is) a steady wind. The wind was robbing my smoker of the heat so that the PID (thermostat controller) could not achieve a preset value and cycle on and off. Here are two links to my set up and how I fixed this.

Smoker blanket follows:
http://www.usefulramblings.org/?page_id=4446

Temp control follows:
http://www.usefulramblings.org/?page_id=4401

I hope that this helps others who are going down the same path.

squeel
squeel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
peeps
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 5

Nice thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeel's website
What about rain? It would not effect the Reflectix but electricity and water?! I don’t think so.
I think just a patio umbrella would suffice for the rain ;)

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Interesting test since those are pre-set at the factory to max out at 225ish degrees?

Im guessing the reflective material is giving you a higher reading? Was the unit empty for testing?

Whats the can for? Have you tried chunks resting on the lava rocks? Works much better with ideal smoke!
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
squeel
Got rid of the matchlight.

bubba,

The unit did not contain any food, but I had a full water pan. The Reflectix material is trapping the heat and holding against "the can". Thats why I could achieve 300 degrees. If I had let it heat for a longer period it might have gone a bit higher. I did not use the PID in this test. I was interested in what high temp I could achieve knowing that the pid would control at 225 as long as I could achieve it.

The can is for wood chips/chunks. I had placed the wood chunks between the element coils but cleanup was more work then I believe it should be. I have not yet tried the can but got the idea from another guy on some other forum.

While the element is factory set to 225 if you smoke in July/August in direct sunlight you can achieve "over the top" temps and have no way to control those temps without a PID because the electric is always "on" to the coil.

One thing I should point out is that I use a 25 foot extension cord rated at 1800 watts. The Brinkman coil draws 1500 so the extra 300 watts handles any additional load by the PID. The PID is accurate and holds/cycles within 2 degrees of set temperature. The proof will be the Thanksgiving turkey.
squeel is offline   Reply With Quote