• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dark spots on ribs????

moontz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What the heck is going on here.... It just started happening with the last 3 or 4 rib cooks. See those black spots on the top of the ribs just as they are starting to sweat.

My hypothesis is that it is moister dripping from the inside of the dome of my ceramic along with any "flavor"/gunk that has accumulated on the inside of the dome. But not sure... :confused: Anyone seen this before? Next cook I a going to give the dome a scrub down to see if that helps anything.

PP__7aec0368a14_20130120_175252.jpg

my guess is that your hypothesis is partially correct. I'd say moisture isn't the issue, it's the "gunk" buildup on the lid falling onto the meat. a quick scrub w/a brush and water should fix the issue.

I had a couple of similar spots, decided to taste them. It was not creosote, so I figured it was not from the lid. It was seep from the ribs, some type of coagulation of juices from the meat. I figure it is a reaction between the meat proteins, myoglobin, salt and smoke. Think smoke ring, but, since there is no actual meat, it takes on a very dark color.

ribsrest1_zps265e9a63.jpg

See those dark spots. It was possible to knock them off, but, they didn't affect flavor at all.

Drips for sure, happens in my egg all the time. If you want to make it stop burn it out with a high heat cook or fire.

What the heck is going on here.... It just started happening with the last 3 or 4 rib cooks. See those black spots on the top of the ribs just as they are starting to sweat.

My hypothesis is that it is moister dripping from the inside of the dome of my ceramic along with any "flavor"/gunk that has accumulated on the inside of the dome. But not sure... :confused: Anyone seen this before? Next cook I a going to give the dome a scrub down to see if that helps anything.

I get this sometimes if I don't power-wash to clean my upper racks. Even if they are in the cooker with no food, slight amounts of smoke, vapor, and such will adhere to the empty racks. Even though they appear perfectly clean they will drop similar spots. No changes in taste and no harmful deposits.

Hemadrops which are a slight bulging of a vein in the top of ribs. They can be removed with surgery or by putting a restraining ring around them. It will really irritate the pig and is more successful if the pig is dead.

its just blood and juices coming out of the ribs. I see it all the time

unless like others have mentioned you are dripping from the lid but thats what it looks like to me

If they are drippings (which I have had happen) they should be able to slide right off with your fingertip or knife (I would do this before foiling in a competition)

Thanks for all the info folks. Interesting... I think I will do the high heat fire just to eliminate that variable of dripping then if the stuff keeps appearing, assume it is the meat. Thanks again.

landarc:
I had a couple of similar spots, decided to taste them.

You join a list of very brave people in the history of our culture - the first to taste something- milk or oysters - the dark spots on ribs.

I can just imagine the first man to taste milk - he basiclly had to say " I am going to squeeze that sack and what ever comes out I will put in my mouth. :confused:

Agree with comments above...if it comes off with a tip of a knife its from the lid. I usually get some from the top racks on my Stumps if they are not clean.

Back