oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
afidel
Found some matches.

Default Grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat

So I decided to try my second pulled pork on the Akorn for my birthday. I trimmed in and covered with Meathead`s Memphis dust about 10:30pm and set it back into the fridge to dry marinade a bit. I started the fire about 11:30 and it hit 180 at midnight so I adjusted it down to my normal 250-275 settings and waited for the smoke to clear up. At 12:20 I applied some more dust as the moisture from the meat allowed a bit more to be applied and put it on the fire. Temps stabilized at 250 and stayed at 250 +-6 for the next 3 hours. At 3:30 the temps dropped by about 30 degrees, I went outside and the fire was still going so I opened up the vents a tiny amount. Temps started to head up a bit and I headed to bed. At 8am I woke up to an alarm from the Maverik, pit temp had fallen under 200! I went outside and the winds were pretty fierce, it was 36 outside and winds were up to 15-20 with gusts to 35, and they were out of the south. Normally winds come from the west here and my bbq is on the east side of the house. I rotated the Akorn to point north and opened things up a tiny bit more. Once again I headed inside and saw the temps climbing back up so I went to bed. I awoke again at 11:20 am to the alarm, the meat had reached 201 internal, the pit temp was 285. I went out and performed the fork test and the meat was nice and tender. I threw the butt into the drip pan, covered it, and placed it in the oven to rest for two hours. The results were pretty good:
post-3229-0-43459600-1382916835.jpg
post-3229-0-81633800-1382916846.jpg
If I had any criticism it would be that the bark wasn't as thick or as smokey as I would have liked but I'm a bit of a bark shark (I always order my pp extra burnt at the local BBQ joints)

I learned that the Maverik was worth the price paid, and that even in the well insulated Akorn high enough cold winds can mess with your cook a bit but that butt is very forgiving. This also reinforces the don't worry about it view on temperatures.

Any advice on how to get better bark?
afidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

I get really nice bark results by starting at 350 and letting it drop on its own to 225 and then hold it between 215 and 230 for the remaining of the cook. Be careful not to add sugars, they may look pretty and dark and juicy and all, but they are bitter. If you want to get even more bark, baste at hot temps and then let it ride when it drops below 275. I find too much bark and not enough smoke flavor is a detractor imho. Good luck and I hope it tasted as you desired.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lookin' good.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Smok'n n Joke'n
Full Fledged Farker

Looks good from here!!
Smok'n n Joke'n is offline   Reply With Quote