The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
hwy hawk
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Party for 40?

I'm throwing a retirement party for a friend of mine and the guys want brisket, ribs and pulled pork. How much meat for 40 town workers. Also times and temps for meat.
thanks

Unread 11-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Time and Temps will depend on your equipment. Generally speaking Pork & Brisket will be done if cooked at 275F for 10-12 hours. But probing is the most accurate way to test near the end of this cycle.

Sent you a PM regarding Qty's.

Unread 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
hwy hawk
Got Wood.

If I did it the day before, Will it be as good as fresh? How to re-heat?
Thanks

Unread 11-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

We do Brisket and PPork ahead on a regular basis. If you do this be sure to follow safe food handling practices. Cool the cooked product quickly so that it does not stay in the temperature danger zone (45F - 145F) too long.

We pull the brisket/pork and package in 1 Qt Ziploc bags (these will hold 2#'s), flatten them as much as possible and flash freeze them one layer deep on cookie sheets. We add the cook juices back into the product before bagging. This helps to make the meats moist when reheating.

For reheating we use a gas grill onsite to bring the meats back up to serving temps. In some venues we have ovens available and those can be used also. We thaw the product under refrigeration and then reheat the thawed meats. If you are cooking the day before you may be able to skip the freezing as long as your refrigeration unit can pull the temps of the pulled meats down quickly enough for food safety regs.

As for ribs. We have never precooked ribs so I can't be of much help there. There a number of threads on this site that cover various methods of reheating ribs. IMHO reheating ribs does not affect the flavor much but the texture just isn't the same. If it is possible I would suggest cooking the ribs the day of the event.

Thanks from:--->