The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
pigout sc
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default egg,wsm air flow

Wanted to throw this question out again because I am still a bit puzzled. Does anyone know why you have to keep the top vent wide open on the WSM but not an EGG? I assume maybe its because of the fuel used ( Lump) But besides that I have know Idea
pigout sc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I'm pretty sure all cookers should have the exhaust wide open to prevent creosote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Drunk Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy View Post
I'm pretty sure all cookers should have the exhaust wide open to prevent creosote
I have a Kamado and close up the top vent all but a crack. No issues. Much easier to control the temp.

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

I'm guessing because the WSM has more air leakage than a Kamado cooker. My daisy wheel is fully open on my KJ, but that's it an I've never had a bitter smoke problem at all.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
loco_engr
Full Fledged Farker

On my Lrg BGE, I try to control the temp with the lower vent and DFMT.
Very small opening in bottom and top for 250° low and slow.
HTH

Unread 10-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
foam2

On an egg or kamado there are two reasons for the smaller vent openings. First you have a smaller cooking volume compared to wsm that is much longer. Second is the kamados are insulated and very little energy is needed to keep the fire going at a given temp. Kamados are also very fuel efficient because of this as well. My akorn burns much less fuel than my wsm or uds but is sensitive to too much air which will make it run hot and hard to bring down.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

My two BGEs work perfectly with the dual damper opened totally while using the bottom damper to obtain any temperature I want. I feel I get the cleanest fire that way. I do the same in the UDS and my WSMs.

Restricting the exhaust to control temperature doesn't make sense to me.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Well, I have a large BGE and have for years kept the top and bottom vents opened equally regardless of temperature. It has worked for me!
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't say you "have to" set up your vents that way (but that seems to be the most commonly advised set ups). I know folks who cook fine not using their vents like that. I commonly remove the top vent on my BGEs when cooking at 375+ degrees.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #10
shirknwrk
Take a breath!

I leave the top off my BGE for burgers & steaks but use it for making small temperature adjustments on long cooks. The lower vent will get you close but the cast iron top is good for 5°-10° adjustments. When using a guru, it is essential to use it and close it until only open a crack... otherwise the temp will continue to climb even with the fan off.

As far as creosote goes, doesn't one of the major (expensive) stick burner builders rely exclusively on the exhaust vent for temp. control?
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
ANerdThatBBQs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 3

On my little WSM I leave _ALL_ of my vents open. It doesn't matter, it always sits at 250. ALWAYS

On my big WSM, I typically leave them open wide while I start it, but I will have to close it a bit once it gets going or I will start to burn through some wood and raise temperature.

I typically open the bottom to about 25 percent.
ANerdThatBBQs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
pigout sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk View Post
I leave the top off my BGE for burgers & steaks but use it for making small temperature adjustments on long cooks. The lower vent will get you close but the cast iron top is good for 5°-10° adjustments. When using a guru, it is essential to use it and close it until only open a crack... otherwise the temp will continue to climb even with the fan off.

As far as creosote goes, doesn't one of the major (expensive) stick burner builders rely exclusively on the exhaust vent for temp. control?
Good Point

Unread 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I think about going below 250* on my XL egg I have to close the top vent some, even with the bottom only open a crack. I've seen no ill effects so far.

My WSM's I have to close the top down once in a while to keep temps from going too high but they're sort of new to me so I'm working on avoiding that if possible. I burn lump in the egg and KB in the WSM so I'm more concerned about the nasties with the Webers.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
pigout sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
If I think about going below 250* on my XL egg I have to close the top vent some, even with the bottom only open a crack. I've seen no ill effects so far.

My WSM's I have to close the top down once in a while to keep temps from going too high but they're sort of new to me so I'm working on avoiding that if possible. I burn lump in the egg and KB in the WSM so I'm more concerned about the nasties with the Webers.
Same here. Makes sense

Unread 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Toast
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I think it's about the convection of heat on the WSM. A proper draft with smoke moving over the meat rather that collecting around it.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen
The Fun Never Stops at the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
2013 Throwdown Grand Master. 1/2 of Team Paradise.
Toast is online now   Reply With Quote