The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #46
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RClark115 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The idea of making a UDS is really intriguing to me. I found a small cheap nameless vertical on Craigslist I may pick up this weekend to tinker with in the interim. Thanks again, and I know I will be back asking questions throughout the build. The hardest part is finding the drum, as they're not readily available as it appears right now.
If it's a Brinkman sealed at bottom follow this guys mods:
http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

If it's open bottom I'd pass. Air intake control = Temp Control

Unread 10-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #47
BBQDaddio
Full Fledged Farker

Rclark115,

Welcome to the family. I started off with a cookshack a few years ago as charcoal was a little intimidating. When I finally took the plunge I started with a weber otg and still think it was the best choice. Only regret was I bought new and not on craigslist.

If you do go the otg route definitely get a performer. On craigslist they are between $100 - $150

Good luck

Unread 10-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #48
RClark115
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
If a UDS is on your list...Here is an ad for drums for sale near you...$20 to get the project going...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/grd/4128998003.html
This link brings me to my most important question, these barrels contained cleaning chemicals. Is that no concern at all? Does burning a few times truly cleanse it completely? Just wondering
RClark115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #49
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

I've never made or owned one, so I will defer to the UDS pros...there are many, many, many threads on the prep work required...Good Luck...

Lang 36 Patio - Kamado BigJoe
30" Gasser(Dock Box)

MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #50
SmittyJonz
Babbling Farker

A good hot burn out or two and scrub job and you'll be good.