oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
nitroplumber
Found some matches.

Default building new smoker

I'm in the process of designing a new smoker trailer for our vol. fire & rescue department I have found some good links about cook chamber to fire box size and so on. However the fire box I'm looking a the is on the back of cook chamber and I don't know what to do about the stacks. It looks to me that I need one on each end to get the smoke through out the chamber, the cheat sheets I have tell me a 6" vent approx. 45" long, but this is for a std. offset or reverse flow. What do I do about 2 stacks? I know I have to keep the right amount of sq. inches to make everything draft right. Do I cut the stacks in half? (i.e. 22.1/2") tall or change pipe size? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a first round drawing of what I have in mind. Any thought's on layout? I haven't put in tables or counters yet figured I'd get the bones done first then trim out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf smoker layout 1.pdf (1.12 MB, 131 views)
nitroplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tiny font and Red letters =Too Hard to Read

Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Tiny font and Red letters =Too Hard to Read
And I think reserved for a Mod iffin they need to yell at us

Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
nitroplumber
Found some matches.

ok then, here we go again. how do you figure the stacks on a smoker that has the fire box on the back? I have info on offset & reverse haven't found info on one for the back. It's a 36x75 cook chamber and a 24x56 fire box. Would like to use 6 inch stacks (because I have the pipe) if possible but need to know how long to make them to keep the draft right. thanks

Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Tough one, I don't think the normal calculators will work. Let's start with the firebox and cook chamber volume: 36X75X? and 24X56X?.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Tough one, I don't think the normal calculators will work. Let's start with the firebox and cook chamber volume: 36X75X? and 24X56X?.
I bet 24" dia firebox and 36" dia cook chamber...no more dims needed

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
I bet 24" dia firebox and 36" dia cook chamber...no more dims needed
I could not tell if they were cylindars or not and air flow/draft depends on volumes, but if true, then 2@6", run up through the roof should work. Remember, you can always throttle back with a baffle but it is a beeeoootch to add!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
nitroplumber
Found some matches.

the cook is 36" round and 75" long the fire box is 24" round and 56" long

Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
ebijack
is One Chatty Farker

I'm no expert, just and old guy who likes to make stuff. From what I'm seeing in the drawing, your smoke stacks are too close to the fire box, all across the back of your smoke box will not heat properly. You need to get the flow to travel to and across the rear for even heat. At least put the exhaust vents off the 2 rear corners. And like mentioned, bigger is easier to control than too small and you can't get enough flow or temp. I believe your firebox is over sized and you will waste a lot of fuel, but again what do I know. You don't show the height of your firebox compared to the smoke chamber or the opening your going to run and it's dimensions.
Just some thoughts first look at it.
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
nitroplumber
Found some matches.

ok I know I'm new but I used the quick reply a couple of times now and I get the error that it's too short must be 4 char. It was about 100+ char. What am I doing wrong?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
ebijack
is One Chatty Farker

If your using 100+ characters, don't use the quick reply
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
nitroplumber
Found some matches.

ok thanks