MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
CORNDAWG
Knows what a fatty is.

Default ??? Smoke times faster on UDS

I find that the common time of 1 1/2 hrs per pound when smoking, have not been true when using my UDS. I see times closer to 45-50min per pound. My latest brisket from yesterday, was a 11 lbs packer. Started at 1:30pm and pulled when probe slid in butta at 9:45pm (temp 20. Is this common when using a UDS? What smoke times have others using UDS experienced?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (152.0 KB, 98 views)
CORNDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

1 1/2 hours per pound is for 225F grate temp, unwrapped. I'm not sure what your grate temp was. Also, a UDS is so efficient that you don't have to keep opening it to add fuel. Each time you open a smoker you add time to the cook.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Fwismoker

It comes down to energy.... You can be standing in 90 degrees in the shade and not get burnt but that same 90 degrees in the sun you will get burnt eventually. It's the same concept in the UDS, the direct heat radiated energy is cooking faster than if it was indirect heat.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Fwismoker

I'm starting to prefer the mix of direct and indirect with a diffuser.

This is the same diffuser i use in my UDS and my new jimmy, the holes let some of the direct energy through but not all of it... partial shade When i use this diffuser i'm at just over an hour a pound doing butts. My last butt was a 8 lb in 9 hours and that was in my mini but it's comperable in the UDS

Other times in the UDS i use no diffuser, it just depends on what i'm cooking.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Bludawg

IDK where you are taking your pit temp but a UDS will be 50 deg hotter in the middle that at the tip of a 3" stem thermo mounted on the side of the pit. so if your thermo says 225 your cooking at 255-260 average temp

Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
CORNDAWG
Knows what a fatty is.

I was running at 225*, I also use a similar diffuser as above, and I use a 12" thermometer that runs 1/4 -1/2" below the grate. Food turns out great. I did lose one brisket, because it was way over cooked.
CORNDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote