oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
49erUDS72
Found some matches.

Default digiQ or the PitmasterIQ?

I wrote on here earlier about what controller would work best for my UDS. I like the price of the pitmasterIQ, but like the looks, and from what I can see quality of the DigiQ. I read the reviews on the pitmasterIQ and wasnt completley pleased with all the reviews, but I take some of them with a grain of salt. Is there any other controll units that anyone would recommend. Pictures would be great if you have them on your smoker as well. Thanks!
49erUDS72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I use the Digi Q and love it. It has been through hell the last two years and keeps on chugging. I don't know anything about the IQ other than it looks like it would not take the abuse.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

I just recently purchased the PitmasterIQ110 for my UDS. I decided to go with that over the Party Q because it has a bigger fan for the price point. I didn't want to go into the other DigiQ units strictly because of the price points.

I am happy with the ease of use of the PitmasterIQ 110. It is super simple to use and I built the rainbox so that I can have it sitting out and not have to worry about it getting wet.
Sublime Smoke UDS
Lazy man Pitmaster IQ110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen
aawa is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have an Auber for my cheap verticals and could not be happier with it

A real nice thing is it uses commonly available thermocouples for temp probes which are very durable and reliable and inexpensive

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=351
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I imagine that all three work well in controlling pit temperatures. They are simply tools to assist you in your cooks, human interaction is required to test when the meat is done.

I chose a BBQ Guru Not only because it has both a pit probe and a meat probe for monitoring both temperatures. But also because it has an anticipatory routine in the software program to adjust for the reaction times of your smoker. It will also ramp down your pit temperature as your internal meat temperature comes close to the set temperature to prevent over-cooking and drying out the meat. Sometimes you pay more for the added features built within the units EEProm software.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Fwismoker

You read old reviews of the IQ.... It's a great tool and very dependable. I enjoy having it in one unit and like aawa said the rain box is great for year round...snow sleet and rain.

The new IQ 120 looks nice, i'll get that next. I also have a guru and like it but for temp control the IQ is a good as it gets.
Mini WSM, Jumbo Joe mini WSM aka Jimmy w/ CB Roti & Meat hanging ring, 22.5" kettle w/ CB kit, Creator of the world famous 007 Super Grill Smoker Roti, Big Poppa UDS, gasser grill and Weber 22.5" kettle w/ CB Roti

Official 007 Thread: "007"
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=231293
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
tgstrang
Full Fledged Farker

I have an iq110 and love it. I was going back and forth between the digiq and the pitmaster iq. Really the deciding factor for me was when i realized the pimaster iq was actually made less than a mile away from my house (talk about instant gratification). I went and grabbed one that day and got to know the guys over there a bit...they are really nice people.. I use it on all my low and slow cooks on both my Akorn and UDS. Even bought one for my dad and his Large BGE.....he loves it too.
tgstrang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
smokinb
Knows what a fatty is.

I've always considered the Stoker, the king daddy. https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Bbq_lover
On the road to being a farker

I use an iq110 and love it. I have a uds and it's like dialing in the temp on an oven.
Bbq_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

I had an IQ110 but recently sold it. In the 1.5 years I had it, I went through 4 temp probes. They would just stop working for unknown reasons. I never pinched the cable or overheated it, they just stopped.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

Comparing the PitmasterIQ to the DigiQ2 is like comparing apples to oranges.

The PitmasterIQ is a basic pit temperature controller.
The DigiQ2 is a pit temperature controller and a meat temperature monitor and is more flexible.

A quick comparison:

PitmasterIQ, Pitmaster IQue 110
Built in variable 5-15cfm fan
Rotary temperature control knob
Integrated 24" air hose that connects to your pit

BBQ Guru, DigiQ DX2
Can use different size external fans
LED display
Audible alarms
Automatic open pit detection
Ramp cooking mode

That is why the BBQ Guru unit is more expensive.

Both units work well. You have to choose the unit that best meets your needs.

Good luck.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Comparing the PitmasterIQ to the DigiQ2 is like comparing apples to oranges.

The PitmasterIQ is a basic pit temperature controller.
The DigiQ2 is a pit temperature controller and a meat temperature monitor and is more flexible.

A quick comparison:

PitmasterIQ, Pitmaster IQue 110
Built in variable 5-15cfm fan
Rotary temperature control knob
Integrated 24" air hose that connects to your pit

BBQ Guru, DigiQ DX2
Can use different size external fans
LED display
Audible alarms
Automatic open pit detection
Ramp cooking mode

That is why the BBQ Guru unit is more expensive.

Both units work well. You have to choose the unit that best meets your needs.

Good luck.
The IQ has another model also you're not talking about...the 120 Try to keep up. Lol
Mini WSM, Jumbo Joe mini WSM aka Jimmy w/ CB Roti & Meat hanging ring, 22.5" kettle w/ CB kit, Creator of the world famous 007 Super Grill Smoker Roti, Big Poppa UDS, gasser grill and Weber 22.5" kettle w/ CB Roti

Official 007 Thread: "007"
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=231293
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote